1060 3GB Mining Rig Setup Review

I plan to make this a six card rig. It’s two 1060 3gb as of right now. The cards will be zip-tied down in a hanging position. I’m using a 750W 80 PLUS Bronze power supply. I know the wiring is chaotic, I’ll be working on that soon. The rig has been running for 48 hours straight, with no problems.

Parts List: https://goo.gl/Bj5jjr

Please let me know if you see any safety concerns that I’m not aware of! (Motherboard???)

Also the power supply has only 2 pcie outputs, which can only run 4 cards. So I’m planning to use a type 4 to pcie adapter to run the other 2 cards. Will there be any issues?

1 Like

First thing, I would get something else under that Motherboard besides the piece of foam, because it could melt. Even though the motherboard might not get hot, styrofoam has a low melting point (usually).

Second thing, you should check the current wattage you’re drawing with a meter, then check the rating of your power supply.

There are sites out there that will tell you how much power the cards use. You’ll want to make sure you have enough wattage to run them (unless you’ve already done this).

Use this to get the expected power draw from your video card.

The “electricity cost” divided by the rate gives you the KWH you used, the rest is arithmetic.

Good luck!

3 Likes

750W will not be enough to power your whole rig (with 6 GPU)
For the best power efficiency, your power supply should be between 50 and 75% of its maximum power.
So consider buying a 1200W power supply, or two 600+W power supply that you would link with this : https://www.ebay.com/itm/24Pin-20-4pin-Dual-PSU-ATX-Power-Supply-Adaptor-Cable-Connector-For-Mining-30cm-/381656561358

3 Likes

I hope you have success with this setting. Give us some feedback… did you find a lot of components on sale?

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Any recommendation on a single PSU around $150?
All my finding are ones in the $200 range.

1 Like

Most of my parts I purchased on New Egg during the holiday sales.

3 Likes

fedex litereally just dropped off my evga 750w p2 80+ platinum as i started reading this thread. Paid 150 + 10 or so shipping from newegg through ebay. Going for a similar rig 6x 1060 6gb though. Dabbling into mining with a low investment compared to what I’d like to have 12x 1070tis lol.

1 Like

It’s getting harder to fine cards at a good price to performance (US Market). NVIDA maybe rolling out the next generation of years in the next 1-3 months. If so that is why retailers are running out of 1060s.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve heard the new cards might be dropping middle of the year. There is still speculation around the performance. Since new cards dont always do better. Like the 1080ti isnt as cost effective as the 1070ti when it comes to hash power vs watt usage specially undervolting in equihash. Same with the 1060 6gb over clocked hashed more efficiently than the 1070 8gb. Maybe the new cards will be beats and some of the 1070s will be the next cheaper alternative.
But yeah I agree, its hard to find cards at a good price which is exactly why I haven’t ordered any till I have every other part of my rig set up, also havent 100% made my mind up. If I come up with more capital to throw at gpus I’ll probably look past the 1060 into maybe 3-4 1080s to start with.

1 Like

just out of interest, why dont you look at RX580’s. I appreciate they use a bit more power but they are half the cost of a 1070 and 2/3’s of a 1070.

Setup correctly they hash at 30Mhs

4 x 1070’s = $2800 ( depending on model )
6 x RX580 = $2900 ( depending on model - i recommend the Sapphire 8Gb )

GTC1070 Total Hash @ 120 Mhs ( based on 30Mhs per card )
RX580 Total Hash @ 180 Mhs ( based on 30Mhs per card )

That extra 60 Mhs will easily pay the extra power cost and get you more Dolla’s

Just my two cents…

1 Like

If he drops down power limit % he’ll be just fine with 750w PSU.
1060 are great in power consuption. My rig with 4 1060 is pulling just 360w from the wall (I did drop power limit to 60% but still getting great sols per watt ratio).

1 Like

I have 8 x 1060 3gb’s running just over 630w on the entire system.

The only thing I can add to the comments above is that if you are really worried about power supply life expectancy and energy efficiency you should keep you power supplies between 40-60% loaded. This is their peak efficiency and will extend their life keeping them in this range.

3 Likes

💰 YEN · YouTube ·️ YEN.CAMP 🧠