Akon Announces the Launch of His Own Cryptocurrency Akoin

“I think that blockchain and crypto could be the savior for Africa in many ways because it brings the power back to the people and beings the security back into the currency system and also allows the people to utilize it in ways where they can advance themselves and not allow government to do those things that are keeping them down”

Akon whose Lighting Africa project is bringing solar power to Africa — is at Cannes Lions launching a new cryptocurrency called Akoin that will be available for sale with hopes it will help further help the continent. Asked technical questions about the blockchain, Akon quipped, “I come with the concepts and let the geeks figure it out.”

In addition to launching his own cryptocurrency, Akon wants to build a “100% crypto-based city with Akoin at the center of transactional life.” The proposed city will be located outside of Dakar, Senegal.

6 Likes

The coin name… not like this. Great news for cryptocurrency as a whole though!

4 Likes

Convict music might really become a convict’s music! not like this! why not just use bitcoin? the temptation to print your own money is just too strong…

6 Likes

5 Likes

Hahaha Akoin. Thats brilliant.

3 Likes

Pretty amusing! :grin:
At Noah we are also creating a crypto city, but in the Philippines

4 Likes
2 Likes

Here is an update straight from Akon!

2 Likes

💰 YEN · DCTV ·️ Bitcoin Lambo · 10 Days of Bitcoin ·️ CEO's Brainpan 🧠