BUILDER'S GUIDE - How to assemble your GPU mining rig!

Alright everyone! Hopefully by now you have had a chance to take a look at my BUYERS GUIDE and been able to purchase your own equipment. If not, don’t worry, this topic is here to stay. Visit it often and leave feedback please.

Let’s get started!

First off let me start by saying this tutorial will not be show casing a fancy open air case but instead a wire frame shelf (houses 6 GPU miners). Therefore, I had to build my own platform. You can build it however you like but this one is for the second level.

I also added 60mm fans to it.

You will see, I’ve laid out motherboard risers for the motherboard to sit on. You don’t want your motherboard sitting directly on the wood.

Next we need to attach the motherboards to this platform. We are using ASUS Prime Z270-AR motherboards for this build.

Don’t be a noob and forget screws.

I’m posting the screws because I want you all to be able to see the size screws that are needed to attach the motherboard to the wood deck.

If this is your first time building a computer, you are probably going to be confused as to where everything goes. Let me break it down for you.

CPU goes here.
NOTE: You see the white 4 prong plug at the top right, that is where you plug the CPU fan in at

RAM goes here.
NOTE: For this motherboard, the first two slots to fill with RAM are the 2 and 4 slots

PCIe Risers go here.
NOTE: Start by filling the first long PCI slot. This will be the video card you plug your display into

Consult the owners manual if you have problems locating these things.

Let’s install the CPU first. Which ever CPU you decide to go with, make sure you buy one that comes with a fan. For this build we are going with an Intel i3-6100. Remember, we don’t need much CPU power for this as we are not mining with the CPU. You can purchase an even lower model if you would like but we got these ones on sale!

You might wonder, “Do I need thermal paste?” For gamers, like me, we would buy a higher quality paste but for this, no need. The stock paste is fine.

To seat the CPU, unclip the plastic cover covering the CPU slot. Place the CPU into the slot with the arrow at the bottom left corner.

Then bring the bracketing system back down and be sure it clips in under the screw.

Attach the fan buy seating it into the 4 holes surrounding the CPU and press them down until you hear a “CLICK”. Then turn the screws in the direction indicated on the screws.

You have now installed the CPU and CPU fan.

The RAM is super simple and click right in. Again, for this build the first two slots to fill are 2 and 4. Check your owners manual for your motherboard to confirm your 2 stick configuration. Believe it or not, I’ve seen motherboards that the first two slots to fill are 1 and 2.

At this point, I’ve gone ahead and moved the deck onto the wire frame.

Next up is getting the power supply in. We went a little bit overboard with our PSU and got a 1500w Titanium PSU. Again ON SALE!!! We also wanted to be sure that we could expand to 7 or 8 GPUs on one motherboard.

I got power all plugged in here. For the motherboard, you will have an 8-pin CPU cord that will plug into the CPU power adapter at the top left of the motherboard. You will have a larger plug that will plug in near the RAM. Those are the only two connections from the PSU to the motherboard. The hard drive, PCIe risers, and the GPUs will all plug directly into the PSU.

The hard drive is now all pluged in. One sata connection to the motherboard (plugged in bottom most left) and a sata power connection to the PSU.

Don’t be a noob and forget to get a power switch. Here is the one we used.

Nothing fancy. Just needs to work.
Check out your motherboard’s owners manual for where to plug it in. This can be a bit tricky as the prongs are very small.

Your pretty setup is going to start looking messy. Wires going EVERYWHERE! If you are OCD…I have a job for you.

Next up, our precision GPU!!!

This bad boy has 3 fans and it’s colorful (Peter likes the flashy lights)
NOTE: Take the plastic off. Don’t leave it on there, it will melt

When you are shopping for these GPUs, check and make sure they have 1 8-pin power connection. You can locate it on the box if you can’t find it on the pictures.

The reason for this is because not all power supply PCIe power cables have 2 8-pin power connectors.

PCIe Riser

Where to plug in your first GPU. Plugging in the first one here just makes life easier.

Now you will have a complete MESS.

But hey, it’s got lights!

Time to setup your bios and get ready for 2 hours of Windows and driver updates. NOTE: I hope you grabbed the software install disk out of the GPU box. If not, go get it

DON’T PANIC! Just press F1.

Those fans I installed onto the wood deck, I set their speed to 80%. Why not 100%!?! Because they are not made to run at 100% 24/7.

Get to the advance mode of your bios configuration. You should see a menu similar to this.

FIRST THING UPDATE YOUR BIOS
Remember, I’m already plugged into the internet, so I’m ready to installed updated bios. For this motherboard it is very easy.

Click Tools > ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utility

Click the “via Internet” symbol and follow the prompts.

Your display will flash a few times during this process but just follow the prompts until you have successfully installed the latest bios.

Next we are going to configure your bios so that it will accept more than 4 GPUs.

Scroll through these configurations as you are setting your bios up. All of your PCI speeds should be set to GEN2. If you don’t set them to GEN2 you will run into problems such as your computer turning on, then off, then on, then off, then on, then off…You get it.

NOTE: Enable “Above 4G Encoding”

At the end you will click “Exit” and be sure you “Save Changes & Reset” (Reset really means restart)

You will see a confirmation message pop up. Your changes should look like these changes.

AND BOOM! We are done here folks. What’s left is installing your Operating system of choice and drivers.

I hope you all find this helpful. If you have question…ASK!!! I want to hear your feedback. Good, bad, and even ugly. If you continue to get frustrated by your build and you just don’t know where something goes, send me a message and we will work it out together!

CAUTION! GTX 1070 FTW GPUs [SOLVED]
Welp, building my miner - and I forgot to buy the power supply
HELP, windows cant detect my graphics card
Bitcoin Private - Pub Mining Pool

This is absolutely awesome. It’s great to have expertise walk us through such valuable parts of the building process!
Thanks man!

wow, you dotted ABCD so well, that even my grandma can mine coins now! Thanks!

I’ve got the same board without the"R". It’s capable of having 13 GPU’s attached to it. I’ve been extremely happy with it.

That board is amazing. We have 2 different motherboards we have purchased. MSI Z270 Gaming 3 and that ASUS. Setting the MSI up last night was a HUGE pain. I setup 6 ASUS mining rigs with no problem. The MSI gave me fits from the very start.

What version of windows is the best to use with nicehash? I will obviously be switching from Ethos to nicehash eventually, but I’ve heard that versions of windows can be glitchy with a lot of cards

love that you didnt miss the power switch… although you gotta get fun with it. i used the old power/reset button model from an old nintendo console for mine.

great write up… ive got my aluminum lengths coming in tomororw for the final build out… no longer need to use my shoe rack as an open air case!

your rig is fantastic… but would set my OCD into hyperspin… id need the cabling to be neater :slight_smile:

Doesn’t that board have reset and power switches on it? Mine does.

I use Windows 10 64-bit and I haven’t had problems with it.

You know…I’ve never really looked…I’ll take a look

Excellent work putting this guide together!

How much did it run you?

Great guide!
Thanks for this.
Is it safe to run this setup in my house?
What do you suggest?

Depends on the space you have available at home. Send me a direct message with what you are thinking of building and where you have in mind to place it in your house.

Just the board? I think around 150.

This guide has been buried for too long. BUMP!