Coding for Noobs - Any suggestions

Hey Guys,

Looking to learn the basics of coding.

Would love suggestions on where to start with the absolute basics to move forward.

Note i do realise it’s for the super smart to get into but I’d love to try learn or at least try to understand it.

Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

Try just start coding! Hacker rank has some pretty good tutorials:

4 Likes

Do you have an intended use case? Each language tends to be built to do one or two specific things really well. Some are great with data, others graphics, etc. Although the theory and structure is similar throughout many languages, ideally you should learn the one that best fits your use case.

Also, some languages are much easier than others. For instance, the Visual Basic syntax is almost like writing English, while something like Javascript or C# take a little longer to understand.

4 Likes

Awesome @heythaitea thank you!

1 Like

Thanks @Nathan_DuMoulin … I need to address the first question :sweat_smile:
Complete noob looking to gain more knowledge.

3 Likes

Try out https://www.codecademy.com they have a ton of free courses you can take at your own pace. If I were to recommend one if you don’t know the end goal, start with Javascript. It’s the language of the web, almost every website uses it.

The pros are you can learn and apply the core principles like data structures with it, get to develop really nifty sites. By knowing Javascript you can also use NodeJs which is basically lets you run Javascript on the backend. Then you can develop web apps! You also got frameworks like React Native for mobile development which uses Javscript and compiles your code to the native language of the OS, whether it is Android or iOS.

Javascript can have many cons (as all programming languages do), but the only one worth mentioning at this point is that there are other languages that might be easier to start with such as Python, but don’t be afraid, it’ll become second nature to you.

Be persistent, be persistent, be persistent.

Cheers!

5 Likes

umm no it is not. it is simpler than some but ruby and python are more like writing english than VB

2 Likes

@cryptowolfie

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time out for this recommendation - so grateful ! Much :black_heart: cheers!

2 Likes

https://inventwithpython.com/chapters/
This is where I learned python, I then built on as needed

2 Likes

Awesome cheers @JollyHobbler!

1 Like

One piece of advice I can give is lean that a lot of things can be used across many languages. knowing how to work the issues can sometimes be more important than what hammer you use.

2 Likes

I can personally train you in C# myself for Ether or BTC :blush:

I’ve done paid programming in the past and could give you access to a course outline I’ve created for other students.

~= moxie =~

2 Likes

@moxie

:open_mouth: so keen to have someone guide me the way! Would love to take you up on this offer!
Please dm me more info :pray:t4:

1 Like

Just giving an example man. Relax. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I am trying to absorb some Python myself. I stumbled across The Clever Programmer - YouTube, like, yesterday. I like the cut of his jib; he will become my python-sensei I think.

Also, he is simply a “great communicator” which, a lot of programming tutors folks seem not to be? Very insightful for the “road to beginning”, especially for Python, which is a pretty good place to start generally; imho…

2 Likes

CodeSchool.com has free classes and a fun outline.

Pro tip: Once you pick a Language and get the basics, google “design patterns”. These you can generally apply regardless of language. That being said, it is always worth checking for Language specific syntax and best practices when picking up something new.

4 Likes

Golang…

2 Likes

Something like Python is great for beginners. It’s very flexible and will allow you to learn a lot of the basics. Since it’s considered a dynamically typed language you don’t need to master the constructs to be able to create something. You can actually learn how to code rather than get hung up in the syntax learning something more statically typed like Java or C++… It’s the fastest growing and one of the most popular for a reason.

Go find Derk Banas on YouTube…his videos are amazing and great starters for anyone…actually here’s a start.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=derek+banas+python

4 Likes

@chOc1O1

Cheers mate!

1 Like

Python/Flask, Golang, JavaScript/Node.js, R… it is all about the “problem” you want to solve.
But to learning how to program, Python or Golang for sure :smiley:

C, C++, C# are all great languages :slight_smile: But today, the “modern” languages are GoLang, Python… sorry, I don’t like Ruby :slight_smile:

3 Likes

💰 YEN · DCTV ·️ Bitcoin Lambo · 10 Days of Bitcoin ·️ CEO's Brainpan 🧠