Coinbase Update Shows 45 Additional Cryptocurrencies On The App For Some Users

Coinbase is one of the largest cryptocurrency exchange platforms in the world, so when they announce the addition of new cryptocurrencies the price tends to spike considerably. Some users have now reported that they are able to see an additional 45 cryptocurrencies on the app.

Coinbase have recently announced their plans to add custody support for “40 cryptocurrencies”, including, XRP, NEO, Ontology and many other major cryptocurrencies. Coinbase is one of the largest cryptocurrency exchange platforms in the world. They currently support Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum and Litecoin, with upcoming assort for Ethereum Classic. Well now Coinbase custody are planning support for 40 cryptocurrencies on top of this.

45 additional cryptocurrencies on the app

We weren’t sure at first why some people were able to see what appears to be the top 50 cryptocurrencies on their Coinbase app. However, we have since learned that this is part of the Coinbase “Education asset pages” update.

It is worth noting the 45 additional crptocurrencies on the Coinbase app were listed below the usual 5 cryptocurrencies which are tradable, as well as a title saying “not available on Coinbase“.

The screenshots below all of the cryptocurrencies which were listed:

As you can see all of the different cryptocurrencies are showing on the Coinbase app, when they are clicked on it displays a chart, but again reminds you that “this asset is not supported by Coinbase”

The full list of cryptocurrencies showing on the Coinbase app via this error are:

• Ripple’s XRP (XRP)
  • EOS (EOS)
  • Steller (XLM)
  • Tether (USDT)
  • Cardano (ADA)
  • Monero (XMR)
  • IOTA (MIOTA)
  • Dash (DASH)
  • Tron (TRX)
  • NEO (NEO)
  • Binance Coin (BNB)
  • NEM (XEM)
  • VeChain (VET)
  • Tezos (XTZ)
  • ZCASH (ZEC)
  • OmiseGo (OMG)
  • Dogecoin (DOGE)
  • Bitcoin Diamond (BCD)
  • Lisk (LSK)
  • Bytecoin (BCN)
  • Ontology (ONT)
  • 0x (ZRX)
  • QTUM (QTUM)
  • NANO (NANO)
  • Bitcoin Gold (BTG)
  • Decred (DCR)
  • ICON (ICX)
  • DigiByte (DGB)
  • Maker (MKR)
  • BitShares (BTS)
  • Steem (STEEM)
  • Aeternity (AE)
  • Verge (XVG)
  • Siacoin (SC)
  • Waves (WAVES)
  • Basic Attention Token (BAT)
  • Pundi X (NXPS)
  • Augur (REP)
  • Bytom (BTM)
  • Stratis (STRAT)
  • Waltonchain (WTC)
  • Metaverse ETP (ETP)
  • Populous (PPT)
  • Golem (GNT)

Coinbase Education Assets Pages

Coinbase announced on 24th August that they will be launching a new update.

It’s no secret that many consumers feel overwhelmed when trying to research and learn about cryptocurrencies. We’ve heard from our customers that they are always looking for trusted sources of information and, as one of the world’s leading exchanges, we’re committed to offering educational resources that help them navigate the world of cryptocurrency.

Starting today, we’re testing new ways for customers to explore and view the top 50 cryptocurrencies by market cap — most of which are not available to trade on Coinbase. Designed to be a starting point to learn about new assets, customers can view historic trading data, current market cap, a description of the asset, and links to relevant white papers and project websites*. Over time, we intend to experiment with various formats and types of information to share with customers.

This is still being tested so currently only a small number of users are able to see the top 50 cryptocurrencies on the mobile app. The update will see information regarding the top 50 assets become more readily available.

Why do you say it’s an error?

BTC could take a hit if coinbase tethers all those alts to fiat/USD

I’d like to be able to by my shitcoin of choice without having to lose my purchasing power by paying fees to exchanges and miners through buying BTC->Binance-> :shitcoin:

The battle is on for the fiat on ramp exchanges to offer this value back to the users.

@JasonMasterNET agree, this will further erode BTC dominance over the market.

Yea, right now a ton of Bitcoins value is its tether to altcoins. that will take a major hit for sure.

im not sure how i feel about it… on one hand being blood sucked for fees is not fun. on the other hand BTC being the only tether for the majority of altcoins helps prop up the entire market

Yeah right now I don’t think the market is going to see much of an impact as on a global level BTC pairs will still dominate. I kinda see it as the exchanges trying to make more money (or at least take away market share from their competitors). They can track what their users are doing with the bitcoin they buy. Coinbase is probably looking at the data and see more txns are moving to competing exchanges as people want more < insert desired coin >. But I agree right now this market needs bitcoin to remain successful as it is mostly dependent on it.