Get Them While You Can Gamers, Graphics Cards Prices Have Crashed

videogames
gpu
gamers

via bitcion

As the exchange rates for all cryptocurrencies declined this year, so did the attraction of GPU mining using graphics cards. As a result, the prices of cards that can be used for both gaming and mining have been cut drastically and leveled off, bringing them back into more affordable territory.

Bargain Bin

Gone are the days of graphics cards being snatched up in bulk at premium prices far higher than the manufacturer’s suggested retail price. The cost of a new card is now tens of percentages lower than they were at their peak just a few months go, and some can even be found at below the listed price.

Looking at the real-time average price charts for representative dual-use cards on trackers like pcpartpicker, we can see that the spikes of the beginning of the year have been almost completely eroded, and prices are now very close to their levels before the craze. For example, the average price of Geforce GTX 1070 Ti went from around $900 at its height to just about $550 today. And if you go looking for bargains you can even find some cards that have dropped by over 50%.

GeForce-GTX-1070-Ti-Chart

Manufacturers’ Fears Materialized

While gamers might enjoy seeing miners finally stopping to crowd them out of the market, this must look totally different for GPU manufacturers and their shareholders. Although the major companies repeatedly tried to reassure their traditional gaming customers that they remain their main focus, even going as far as asking retailers to limit the number of graphics cards they sell to miners, hardware manufacturers were riding high on the crypto wave.

According to an analysts report, the top three producers of GPUs (AMD, Nvidia and Intel) have sold more than 3 million graphics cards to cryptocurrency miners in 2017, with revenues reaching $776 million. This is a significant share of their business, and it now appears that they were right to fear that decreasing demand from miners can affect sales this year. Their next quarterly results reports will probably shed more light on the impact.

I was wondering what Intel GPUs had to do with crypto mining.
https://cryptomining-blog.com/tag/intel-gpu-mining/
I know they have actual processing cards, but most have no outputs, so they’d only be good for compute and not display. Although, most of what I saw was regarding the CPU/GPU combo hardware being used to mine. That’s interesting to say the least.

I also don’t believe in the sales reports for GPUs. What I mean is that sales of GPUs are going to swing wildly for all time. There are so many variables in that product line that it is impossible to predict the sales from 3-6 months out. A manufacturer could have a disastrous driver release as has happened in history which could also impact sales negatively. They can also market and brand a product line and lie or mislead about the actual hardware architecture which leads to a negative impact in sales. This is only a big deal because as GPU miners we gave them so much of our time and money and they mostly treated miners like crap. I don’t see how they can complain about sales slipping from mining. NVIDIA said this would happen and AMD didn’t seem to really care. Intel isn’t even on the radar really. This is really just a situation with NVIDIA and it’s market share. I’m obviously very opinionated about this topic if you can’t tell. :slight_smile:

they have not crashed, they are being sold to normal-non retailer abusive MSRP.

Exactly. They haven’t crashed its that supply and demand have met to where the price is now back to MSRP. This is mostly to do in my eye’s with the rumors that the new Nvidia series is going to be released in August.

@RedLineJoes - Not completely sure what you are asking here. What I think you are asking is why would one go with an Intel GPU for mining or how will it compete in the market. From my experience / perspective of being in the DataCenter industry they are going after the AI market share. Currently only Nvidia is in this market. I have yet to see anything from AMD on an enterprise level that even starts to address this. I think this is where Intel is attempting to fill a gap.

I don’t understand why there would be a correlation to crypto prices declining and mining interest declining. Difficulty rates adjust down as coin prices decline. I would think the market would be expanding more into mining as coin prices decline for selling on the next move up. I’m not into mining end of crypto though so :man_shrugging:

The reason for the decline is the same is the mentality of “chasing the most profitable coin”. You can do these things on snap shots of data. Most of the new comers to mining are chasing coin profitability and losing big just like noob traders trying to chase a pump.

With the network difficulty low it increases coin rewards for those miners that are keeping the network up. I just recently moved a rig back to raven because the net difficulty was almost cut in half from where I was mining which meant I was getting nearly double the amount of coins I was getting previously.

I took my rig offline for 1 day when RVN and the rest of the crypto space dumped hard in the last week. Then like you, I jumped on after just 1 day offline and a single 1080Ti was doing $2.70/day. It’s come back down now a bit.
Top rig has 1 x 1080Ti
Bottom rig has 2 x 1080Ti, 1 x 1070, and 1 x 960 GTX

Interesting example of demand and supply for any kids studying economics out there

dude, you rock.

thanks for sharing this Saitama

As a lifelong PC Masterrace gamer and a super smalltime miner I wouldn’t jump to much at these card prices, new hardware is right around the corner out of Nvidia. Its likely to make current hardware far less profitable IMO

Thats what I was thinking. At these prices, I bet the new hardware will be at the higher prices we just previously seen.

Maybe but the cards price and power usage play a major role in its profitability. The new cards are expected to be 20% more expense. So the 1080 was 500 at launch the 1180 is expected to be 600-650 at launch for the FE making an AIB board closer to 700-750. My numbers are probably a bit off but this price increase is mostly due to GDDR6 increasing the price.

I think this is also why we are seeing cards like the new GT1030 with DDR4 (yes I said that correctly it is using system style RAM) and the new GT1050 3gb that has a lower memory bandwidth.

I think Nvidia has a gpu dies they need to sell