GPU Rig Checklist

I am new to mining but following this guide to piece my first rig together.

http://www.coinminingrigs.com/how-to-build-a-6-gpu-mining-rig/

I am planning on ordering gear asap. Would you guys change anything in that list? I am going to go with the RX 580s but otherwise everything else to the specs on that list.

3 Likes

reposting. you can avoid expenses for hd, windows, keyboard/mice, and monitor.

check it out.

2 Likes

looks interesting but I would rather do it as autonomous as possible.

2 Likes

it is autonomous. its basically linux on a usb, and you can monitor your rigs remotely.

2 Likes

is the only advantage saving money on windows and monitor etc.?

1 Like

haha no bro. its ease of use too. would your rather have to plug your monitor btwn 5 rigs figuring things out, or just stick a usb in each of them, and monitor remotely. im scaling quite a bit right now, and there is no way i could do so using windows.

2 Likes

ok I get it, for scaling up and ease of use. Makes sense. I will look into it for sure. Is there a good alternative for gpu mining when Casper comes out? Monero?

1 Like

casper will not come out for years. not in my opinion. vitalik is dangling that POS carrot, so that asic manufacturers dont completely destroy ethereum difficulty. maybe @peter can chime in on this topic?

1 Like

Who knows when or/if ETH will go POS. Only Vitalik knows when he will choose to switch it over. Don’t forget to buy a power switch unless the motherboard has an onboard power switch.

The real question is going to be “Where do you get the GPUs?”

3 Likes

GPU’s are seriously non-existent! I thought I found a supplier at a great price (spoke on the phone) and a delivery was imminent to find an email saying they got it wrong and probably a month’s wait!

1 Like

I have been seeing them on eBay, Craigslist, Amazon from sellers…I am considering buying all new from Amazon. I know there is a shortage but many seem to be available. Am I missing something? Any of you guys in Colorado?

1 Like

Yeh the sellers on Amazon are charging between 100% and 150% increase in the actual price of the card. So when calculating ROI you need to take this into account.

2 Likes

Check the prices on these and do some ROI calculations. I’m seeing GPUs for twice the price they previously were. I probably should do an updated ROI video using new prices. RAM has gone way up also.

3 Likes

You should hit up @THEDATALORD as he has been keeping track of it in the patreon discord channel might help with some of your leg work for the video.

2 Likes

Ok thanks what price should I be looking for to have decent ROI?

1 Like

“Decent” is a relative term and is different from person to person.

What do you want your ROI period to be? What are you comfortable with? 1-year, 6 months, 9 months? Also, understand, your ROI will change frequently.

How do you want to view your ROI? In terms of BTC, or Fiat?

My preferences would be that my ROI is under 1 year, and in terms of Fiat.

I’ll do a video tonight using updated prices and mining profitability. I need to do a new video on this anyways as the last video the audio was bad near the end. I’ll post it on here when it is up.

4 Likes

6 months on fiat ROI would be ideal. Although I think I can do better if I get used gear, just runs the risk of hardware failing without warranty on used gear so…

2 Likes

6 month is going to be hard pressed at the inflated prices. Closer to 7.5 months in terms of FIAT according to NiceHash. So 7.5 is not too far from your ideal ROI. Now that is just for the card itself and doesn’t take into account the rest of the system which the more cards you have the lower the impact of the rest of the system has on your ROI.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at this, am I missing something sounds like a great deal…?

1 Like

It’s a 4gb card. These will phase out with difficulty increases.

1 Like

💰 YEN · DCTV ·️ Bitcoin Lambo · 10 Days of Bitcoin ·️ CEO's Brainpan 🧠