Having trouble with my rig

I’m running the following:

• Asus Z270-AR
  • Intel Celeron G3900
  • 8GB DDR4
  • Powered risers
  • Cooler Master 1200W
  • 6 Asus GeForce 1070s (currently only 2 hooked up)

I’m getting power to the mobo but the CPU fan nor the GPU fans kick on. I can’t get the bios screen to load and I’ve tried both the HDMI port on mobo and on GPU. Can anyone help me diagnose what the problem is?

Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/Htel3

2 Likes

Can you zoom that picture out?

id disconnect the GPUs for now and just try to get the system to POST using just the motherboard, 1 stick of RAM and the hard drive and processor.

Is the PSU modular or are the cables part of the supply? did you check the motherboards instructions to make sure you have everything cabled properly, all the headers correct?

hard to say without troubleshooting more to isolate the issue. could be a cabling issue, power supply issue, mobo issue, memory issue etc…

do you have another power supply you can swap in to test with?

3 Likes

This is probably an issue with using the wrong PSU cables. Hard to see details in your picture

3 Likes

I disconnected the GPUs to see if I could run from the onboard graphics, still no luck. The CPU fan still isn’t running. I took a few more pictures, focusing on the connections from the mobo to the PSU (CPU power cable, mobo power cable).

The PSU is fully modular so nothing came attached. I also checked the mobo instructions and everything appeared to be in the correct place. The only confusion I had was the mobo power cable had another 10-pin connector attached to the 20-24 pin connector. If I didn’t connect that one, the mobo LED lights did not come on at all.

1 Like

hmm… like asharp said then, you may not be using the correct cables. I’ll take a look at the manual.

Also, make sure the cables are plugged into the right slots on the PSU. not all motherboard 6 ping/4pin/8pin interfaces are the same,

3 Likes

here is the manual… im browsing it now

1. make sure you are connecting both the 24-pin ATX power cable AND the 8 pin power cable:

Confirm this first and we can go on from there…

3 Likes

I have only the CPU (8-pin), HDD (SATA), and 2 motherboard power cables connected (on PSU side it’s split between an 18 pin and 10 pin connector as noted in the attached picture). On the motherboard end, it’s a 24-pin connector. I’m not sure why it’s different but the cable is labeled for the motherboard.

As far as graph you provided, I do have it connected up as diagramed. Thanks for all your help with this Jason!

2 Likes

Hmm… whats it look like on the motherboard end. when you say “As far as graph you provided, I do have it connected up as diagramed” that concerns me :slight_smile:

I feel like in addition to what is connected to you ALSO need the 8 pin CPU connected

2 Likes

Here you go.

2 Likes

The 8-pin CPU cable is connected on both ends.

1 Like

That looks correct.

im assusming you’ve reseated all the cables.

where is the other end of that CPU fan cable plugged in? its going from the cpu fan right to the motherboard right?

looks like there are 2 interfaced there:

you want to be in that top interface for the CPU fan, not the bottom CPU optional.

hard to tell from your picture if its in the right one

3 Likes

Yup, I just reseated all the cables to make sure they have good connections. Also, the CPU fan cable is in the right slot.

I do not have another PSU to test but what irks me is that the LEDs come on but nothing else functions…

1 Like

Also… stupid question. how are you powering this on? using an onboard switch or do you have a switch wired through the power_sw header?

on board switch:

3 Likes

The LED gets direct power from the PSU.

the CPU fan/board components get power from the board via PSU.

if your board is bad/has an issue the LED could be on and nothing else work.

are there any beep codes or errors? do you have another set of cables to use?

now that it looks like its wired correctly we need to isolate whether its PSU, cable, or motherboard.

could also be a bad CPU fan.

3 Likes

Actually that wasn’t a dumb question at all :sweat_smile:. I forgot to hook up the power switch… now that it’s hooked up the CPU fan has kicked on. Still not getting bios to load however (using HDMI cable to monitor).

2 Likes

One thing I learned in building my rig. Pull everything down to bare bones and configure BIOS first. So leave the video cards out at first if the board has its own built in video. Optimize the BIOS then install one card and make sure that works with HDMI in the new card. After that install your OS. Once everything is humming and mining works too, then add more cards. That’s my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Yup, I completely agree with you. I eventually disconnected the GPUs and have been trying to run it barebones (RAM, HDD, CPU only). Still not getting the bios to load though.

2 Likes

Now that you’re getting the fans to spin. have you tried it with just one video card in?

3 Likes

when you say "your not getting the bios? can you be more specific? no signal on the monitor? have you tried the onboard VGA/DVI/display port? does your monitor have a switch to switch between inputs and if so is it on HDMI?

3 Likes

@tekybrad I’m trying to run from just the onboard graphics first before I reconnect the GPUs.

@JasonMasterNET When I power on the mobo, shouldn’t the bios screen pop up on my monitor? But yes… I am not getting any signal to it using the onboard HDMI port. I have the monitor set to HDMI.

2 Likes

💰 YEN · YouTube ·️ YEN.CAMP 🧠