How To Protect Your Crypto From Hacks, Theft, and the Unexpected

theft

via Hackernoon

Every week, crypto makes headlines. A booming industry with plenty of money to be made, navigating the choppy waters of crypto can be daunting at first. With countless cyber criminals at the heels of exchange platforms and blockchain wallets, thievery is a very real and active threat and could cost you thousands.

Classic scams like phishing hacks or Ponzi schemes remain some of the most tried and true methods for cyber criminals. With so much potential to be made from stolen crypto, these criminals are stepping up their efforts in thievery — and it’s paying off. In 2017, $115 million worth of stolen crypto was attributed to phishing scams and $103 million attributed to exploitation of software and storage.

Encryption, anti-virus software, and multi-factor identification will only keep your assets safe to a point; they key is preventive measures and simple common sense. Simple tricks like turning off SMS and email authentication for account recovery, using a safe to store USB and sensitive data, and just being mindful of the pages you enter your information in can mean a world of difference when it comes to your crypto assets.

Every year, Bitcoin theft grows exponentially; from $3 million in 2013 to $95 million in 2016. As value and popularity of cryptocurrency grows, these numbers will too. Take a look at this infographic for more on how to protect your crypto assets, trade safely, and invest wisely in this unpredictable market.

Download here:

https://thebitcoinpub-91d3.kxcdn.com/uploads/default/d8916cbaed2a15bf1ba606a270cd78e2bdf91d7c

Some people will learn hard way which is they will be chacked, without there knowledge for a long time… the worst is be hacked by people you love

I have a question of the more computer literate then my self

So i just signed into binance on my laptop its a HP and about 5 years old before ever signing up for anything crypto related when i decided to get into crypto the first thing i did was a full restore to wipe the computer clean and when i did this is updated to windows 10… i know not the best. I do not visit any sites other than binance and thebitcoin.pub because it’s an older laptop i feel its at risk to begin with but is used strictly for buying and trading crypto and checking the pub i so not download anything or visit other sites even if there’s a link on the pub i wanna see i use my phone

I havent been home for about a week and just signed into binance and about 30 seconds after i signed in a little black windows box (looked almost like a DOS window i remeber as a kid) popped up i got scared and instantly shut it down and quickly used my phone to change my binance password

So now i have done something i never wanted to do which was sign into binance from my phone but not knowing much about this stuff i thought it would be safer then restarting my laptop and attempting to change my password from there if i was in fact hacked

I regularly change my binance password and use Google 2fa and an email strictly for nothing but binance

Is there anyway someone would be able to help me find out or possibly walk me through some steps to find out if i was indeed hacked im afraid to use my laptop right now for anything and changing my password from my phone does not make me feel any better

Ive only got about $1000 on binance not alot but its taken me a few months to be able to scrape together that much to invest so it would be devastating to me if i were to loose it

Thanx in advance for any help suggestions or insight as it is very much appreciated

This window is the cmd (command) prompt running a scheduled task. It opens and closes automatically to get out of your way.

Turn on your laptop. Disconnect it from your wifi network. Follow the answer here to keep the window from closing next time a task runs.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/command-prompt-randomly-opens-and-closes/5db7fa62-f617-450a-8dc8-002a153139ef

In the search bar type “task scheduler”, and open the task scheduler window. Google (on your phone) every task on that list to see what they do - at about what time of day did the window open and close?

You probably do not have any malware on your system, but I appreciate your caution rather than the cavalier attitude most people have with their machines. Any system is as secure as the user, if you’re using it as you stated above, then I don’t see an issue.

Thank you very much i truly appreciate you taking the time to respond and to help me.

Everyone i know tells me I’m being overly cautious but i personally don’t believe that is possible when dealing with crypto and not being very knowledgeable when it comes to these sorts of matters i try to do everything i can to avoid them

I’m goin to do this right now

Thanx again you have made me feel bit better

Long live THEBITCOIN.PUB its amazing creators and its greatly valued members as this place is truly second to NONE

It seems to me the main vector of attack to obtain cryptocurrency is through the exchanges, where the exchanges by matter of fact require the private key, for that one eWallet used through them to instantiate cryptocurrency trades. Keeping more than one eWallet, to trade to and abstract to a series of cold or paper wallets may be a good strategy for stop gap protection of one’s cryptocurrency.