ICON [ICX] | Discuss Upcoming ICOs, Wallets, dApps, and More

icon
icx

No it was suicide. There’s some youtube clips that have all of the sad audio. In regards to your question about the barrel roll: no, it isn’t a hard aerobatic maneuver if you’ve had military or aerobatic experience…but for someone who’s never flown, very impressive.

Oh shit. That is sad.

Cheers for the insight :facepunch:

For those that want to submit a request for the token swap in ICONex, here’s a temporary fix. I’ve done this successfully, but remember this method is done at your own risk until an official update.

I was able to get it working by changing the api url myself since it’s just part of the javascript, if you’re not already comfortable doing technical things like that there is a learning curve.

Some steps for anyone wanting to do it themselves, video here https://youtu.be/Y1Ku1EsRLTo

Do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for your actions or the outcome of performing these steps. I recommend waiting for the ICON team to fix it themselves.

1. open iconex wallet webpage, open chrome developer tools with f12
  2. go to the sources tab
  3. In the “page” subtab, find config.js under top/flpiciilemghbmfalicajoolhkkenfel/Users/NC0201014/Desktop/my_coin/src/constants/config.js
  4. On line 55 add a breakpoint by clicking the number 55
  5. Reload the extension wallet page
  6. Back in the chrome dev tools under the Sources tab it will be debugging because it hit the breakpoint you set on step 4. So on the right side, scroll down to the Scope section, expand the obj variable, modify the “main” key-value pair from “https://api.myetherapi.com/eth” to have a value of “https://api.myetherwallet.com/eth
  7. Resume script execution with the blue arrow at the top
  8. Done, you should see balances now. If you check the network tab in the chrome developer tools you can see the request being made to myetherwallet instead of myetherapi.

If at any point you refresh the page or close or reopen it will be undone and you’ll have to do all of this again. Token swap should work because it doesn’t reload the page or anything.

I don’t typically do much js development so there’s probably another way to do this easier, but this is just what I did.

Video tutorial:

Is this the pain Soros has been seeking? I think not…the true shit storm has yet to touch down. The hate is real and it’s here but no one has jumped off a 1/2 story building yet. There’s still too much positivity for anything to come back.

this place is pitiful. you guys need to get a f’n grip on yourselves…

bottom line, if you invested more money than you could afford to lose, you deserve every bit of pain this market is bringing you.

With so many flavors to chose from, why so salty? :beetconnect::man_shrugging:t2::tent:

ran out of sweet at $1.00

kidding really. just tired of the constant bickering around here. you guys bitched your way down from ath and will continue to the bottom.

take a step back and look at this market as a whole for once. it is cyclical, every year it goes through the same shit, just this year it is a bit harder than others, shits going to bounce back in Q4 just like it does every year.

unless BTC takes another 2 years of sideways :man_shrugging:t2:

Good time for accumulation then.

someone tell me how I can quote this guy

Interesting ICX thoughts/challenges, wanted to copy it from @Mike_Fishy (all credit to him, he’s quite on top of the technical side of coins).

ICX offers great technology and I do think it will be good, but I don’t believe it is the next “Samsung” or “Amazon” of the blockchain sphere. There is a couple of flaws., The token is used to pay for the transliterations. So really, it’s not that much different to Microsoft Biztalk, but built on an open ledger. If the token price gets too high, it is trivial to move to a competing process that can cost less. The second issue I see with ICX is the execution of the transliterations happens on nodes, if there is not an autoscale of nodes available to perform the tasks (which costs money), then the process will not execute fast enough (queue too long on busy periods), again leading businesses to look elsewhere. The third issue is, what happens if a transliteration was in mid-stream and the node fails? If nodes are being run in peoples outhouses, there is going to be computer failures. So after looking at the code, they do need to address failure detection and remediation code. Business are not going to monitor it, they are going to expect the people they are paying to take care of the service so that it is 100% reliable to use. It is far from 100% reliable where systems that don’t live in controlled datacenters or built for high availablity with redundant network links are running the software.

Reading it, I feel like that is going to be the eventual ICX impasse that the team will need to communicate about. Thoughts and comments, my fellow pubbers? Remember, stay fishy.

Highlight his text and then click the pop up “quote”.

The token is used to pay for the transliterations.

Pretty much. I’m assuming transliterations in this case means Blockchain A (in whatever language) —> hyperconnected via ICX —> Blockchain B (whatever language). So the value of the token is to be able to do that, buy the ICX token.

And really, I guess the value (if there is any in this whole thing years from now), is that the simultaneous network of payments, smart contracts, transliterations, etc grows BIG enough that it is more valuable to transact and communicate on this network over something like Biztalk. Because if there isn’t then yeah, a business would look for the cheaper solution.

So really, it’s not that much different to Microsoft Biztalk, but built on an open ledger.

Pretty much. Biztalk but with cryptocurrencies, but with these cryptocurrency transactions on an open ledger - yes. That’s pretty much the model with everything in crypto. Some business model + cryptocurrencies

If the token price gets too high, it is trivial to move to a competing process that can cost less.

True, but I would presume that due to the centralized nature, the foundation will find a way to reduce fees to incentivize businesses to use the network.
This of course is dependent on if they can even execute this in a timely fashion (probably 3-5 years) or another solution like Hyperledger doesn’t do it better than them.

The second issue I see with ICX is the execution of the transliterations happens on nodes, if there is not an autoscale of nodes available to perform the tasks (which costs money), then the process will not execute fast enough (queue too long on busy periods), again leading businesses to look elsewhere.

I’m assuming they’ll just increase the nodes to handle the throughput if they think that will happen. And in terms of the cost, I am also presuming that the rewards for running a node will outweigh costs.

The third issue is, what happens if a transliteration was in mid-stream and the node fails?

Good question. I am assuming they will build some kind of confirmation mechanism before it processes and confirms. That’s probably like the #1 thing they will test for, so I can’t imagine that that question is NOT addressed.

If nodes are being run in peoples outhouses, there is going to be computer failures.

Well yeah, but I am sure atleast for getting the basic network up, there will need to be a period where we see that the blockchain runs smoothly (no errors, attacks, etc.) Transliterations seem like something that would occur years down the rode.

So after looking at the code, they do need to address failure detection and remediation code. Business are not going to monitor it, they are going to expect the people they are paying to take care of the service so that it is 100% reliable to use. It is far from 100% reliable where systems that don’t live in controlled datacenters or built for high availablity with redundant network links are running the software.* ”

Agree. I’ve seen code reviews that said their code is not up to par at the moment. And it could be because what they on their Github is outdated. But a lot is unfinished. And you are right, if the network gets that big I would presume that they have in house engineers monitoring it for any failures. But that is part of the “vision” that may happen 3-5 years from now.

Interesting replies, and hence why I am going long on it and not planning to be in profit for years.

Are you going long on ICX? I’m actually excited to see where the price will go in the next year. Great accumulation time for those seeing it possibly rally one day, but wow. It’s almost the price of BCC (Bitconneeeeeeeeect!).

I am looking 2-5 years down the road, not yearly and certainly not monthly.

I say it all the time but it really bears repeating, even if things seem “bleak” now, the true culling of coins (and crypto investors/“fans”) has not even truly started.

Wow feel bad for that guy, some people really need to call out for help.

This sort of incident really should put people’s crypto losses into perspective. Yes you may have lost money, but atleast you are still healthy, that’s the most important thing!

This was my concern also. I suppose higher prices of the ICX token also means higher staking returns though, which might mitigate the high cost of the token.

just some realistic thoughts about the situation…

he didn’t say anything at all about now where he thinks it will go, only judging past movements. not very insightful.

i dont think too many people are expecting a bull market anytime soon.