If you’re a Software Engineer, you should leap into Blockchain in 2019

blockchain
softwaredevelopment

via medium

You’re an Engineer, I am one too. We both remember how cool it was when we first started coding, but we also know that the tech we used back then has been long forgotten. The tech market is crazy fast, and today’s tech might not be there tomorrow either. In software, there’s a huge premium for the ones who nail new stacks and architectures early on. Blockchain is up for the grabs.

Talent alone won’t make you a success. Neither will being in the right place at the right time, unless you are ready. The most important question is: ‘Are your ready?’ — Johnny Carson

Some historical context

I remember when I first went hands on into blockchain. Ethereum fascinated me since the very first moment. When the DAO came up as the first big ICO, I was passionate, it was all so smart and futuristic. A whole new way of thinking tech architectures and applications was there to be explored, I felt like touching the future. But all of a sudden, it collapsed when a vulnerability was exploited and everyone lost serious money. I was bummed, it felt too early, unfortunately I couldn’t take it too seriously yet.

In less than 3 years, blockchain tools, languages, frameworks and communities have flourished. The whole space has gone mainstream for several reasons, some of them not the greatest. Arguably everyone has heard about Bitcoin, Ethereum, blockchain, smart contracts and the most common buzzwords in the space. By now, you should have also heard that blockchain engineers are the guys on highest demand in the current job market. Well, that’s actually true. As a blockchain consultant and CTO, I can tell you this trend will grow, and it could be a serious career opportunity.

Blockchain adoption and the evolution of software architectures

The potential of decentralised architectures is immense, and the innovative business models that can be enabled by them will be life changing. You’ve probably heard about some very futuristic use cases, where decentralisation is used to totally disrupt established business processes and value chains. The best such example is bitcoin, which aims to make banks redundant in a use cases where they have always had the monopoly.

If you go beyond bitcoin, the applications are much broader and their adoption is much more realistic and immediate. That’s where companies of all sizes are starting to assemble teams and build new decentralised architectures to enable new products and business models. Their roadmaps are long, and most companies are aware that this will be a decade long adoption curve. But they are also aware that in 10 years, maybe less, most value chains will be decentralised and today’s business processes will be massively disrupted.

Applications range widely. On the simpler end there are internal project management tools, that companies use to bring departments and business units together in a trestles manner. On the more disruptive end there are startups and consortia bringing crafting new processes that will entirely disrupt industries. Somewhere in between, there are consortium blockchain solutions that enable supply chains to work more efficiently, or even protocols that allow competitors to collaborate in trustless environments.

Why good blockchain engineers will earn so much

Decentralisation is not just an architectural novelty, is a new way of thinking business processes. One that is incredibly contrary to what we’ve been taught over time. Now there isn’t necessarily a central server, or an entity to be the master in the data flows, or central payments clearing. This new way of thinking is being adopted fast by the business side of organisations. The fear of being disrupted is pressing Innovation Directors and CTOs to come up with blockchain roadmaps and Proof of Concepts to test assumptions.

Companies are getting really aggressive in staffing these initiatives, and a whole new market segment is emerging within tech. There is now an increasing need for people who can consult, architect, develop, integrate and maintain decentralised applications. In blockchain, as in early days of any new technology, engineering skills are the bottleneck. There is right now an incredible imbalance between demand for blockchain engineers and the number of engineers who can build decentralised products. For any software engineer out there, this is your opportunity for a big career boost.

How to get aboard the blockchain boat

While in most stacks, companies look for people with several years of experience, in blockchain that’s not really possible. First because the tech is so new, and second because most people who’ve been around for say 5 years are so few and simply impossible to hire. This is a huge opportunity for fast learners with an appetite for decentralisation. Engineers who can learn this new tech paradigm, and learn the right tools will be easily employable in the space.

While the roadmaps of most companies include heavy lifting protocols with high stakes, that is still a few years away in most cases. The fact is that not many blockchain applications are being pushed to production yet these days. Companies are still mostly in an experimentation and assumption-testing mindset, and embrace the fact that this is a stage to create the key learnings, awareness and skillset to tackle the next stages in blockchain adoption. That’s why this is the right time to get in for a software engineer, it’s a very interesting context for learning, since most people involved are also still learning rapidly.

In a nutshell

I wrote a few months ago how I usually select engineers for the blockchain teams I build. Most tools and frameworks in the space are still immature and evolving at light speed. I don’t focus on people who know the tools of today, I prefer people who will learn and build the tools of tomorrow. Over my career I learned not to underestimate smart people with a passion for learning, those are the ones who change the world.

If you’re an engineer full of energy and curiosity for blockchain and for this brave new decentralised world, just reach out. I’d love to tell you about some cool stuff we’ve been doing at TechHQ, and some challenges we might need your help with.

Wonderful article. It is clear, we need more great engineers to help build the next phase of the NWO… just kidding.

We need great engineers to build the future!

Yen.io…!!!

I just posted an article on what skills you need for different blockchain positions.

Other useful reading

1. CodeAcademy

One of the most popular free places to learn coding is CodeAcademy. In fact, more than 24 million people have already learned how to code through this educational company’s engaging experience. At CodeAcademy, you can dive right in and take courses that teach you everything from HTML & CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, PHP, Python and Ruby.

2. Coursera

Founded in 2012, Coursera has grown into a major for-profit educational-technology company that has offered more than 1,000 courses from 119 institutions. While you can pay for certain programs to receive a certificate, there are a number of free introductory programming courses in various specializations from universities such as the University of Washington, Stanford, the University of Toronto and Vanderbilt.

3. edX

EdX is another leading online-learning platform that is open source instead of for-profit. It was founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, so you know that you’ll learn about cutting-edge technologies and theories. Today, edX includes 60 schools. You probably can’t go wrong with the free Introduction to Computer Science from Harvard University.

4. Udemy

Founded in 2010, Udemy is an online learning platform that can be used as a way to improve or learn job skills. While there are courses you have to pay for, there are plenty of free programming courses, which are taught via video lessons, such as Programming for Entrepreneurs - HTML & CSS or Introduction to Python Programming.

5. aGupieWare

AGupieWare is an independent app developer that surveyed computer-science programs from some of the leading institutions in the U.S. It then created a similar curriculum based on the free courses offered by Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Berkeley and Columbia. The program was then broken into 15 courses: three introductory classes, seven core classes and five electives.

While you won’t actually receive credit, it’s a perfect introductory program for prospective computer programmers.

6. GitHub

Sometimes, you need to recall a reference book when you’re stuck on a problem. That’s GitHub. You can find more than 500 free programming books that cover more than 80 different programming languages on the popular web-based Git repository hosting service, which means that it’s frequently updated by collaborators.

7. MIT Open Courseware

If you’ve already learned the basics, and went to get into something a bit heavier – such as exploring the theory behind coding – take advantage of MIT’s free courseware site that includes classes such as Introduction to Computer Science and Programming, Introduction to Programming in Java and Practical Programming in C.

Here is a list of resources if you are getting serious about studying computer science.

Related: GitHub Is Said to Hit $2 Billion Valuation With New Investment Round

8. Hack.pledge()

This is a community of developers, which include some high-profile developers such as Bram Cohen, the inventor of BitTorrent. There, you can perfect your programming skills by learning from some of the leading developers in the world.

9. Code Avengers

Based out of New Zealand, Code Avengers provides fun and interactive programming courses that will teach you how to code games, apps and web sites using JavaScript, HTML and CSS. Each course takes just 12 hours to complete and is available in English, Russian, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Turkish and Portuguese.

10. Khan Academy

Created in 2006 by educator Salman Khan, Khan Academy is one of the original free online-learning institutions. With step-by-step video tutorials, you can learn how to program drawings, animations and games using JavaScript and ProcessingJS, or learn how to create webpages with HTML and CSS.

11. Free Food Camp

Here you’ll learn HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Databases, DevTools, Node.js, Angular.js and Agile by networking and joining a community of professionals and students. You’ll even work together on your coding skills so that you can build apps for free. Here’s the catch: you’re learning those skills and building helps to help solve real-world problems. Code is available to nonprofits.

12. HTML5 Rocks

This Google project launched in 2010 to counter Apple’s HTML5. The site is full of tutorials, resources and the latest HTML5 updates. It’s open source, so developers can play around with HTML5 code. Because this is more advanced than most introductory courses, you may want to gain some knowledge and experience before jumping in.

Learning code used to require access to expensive books and classes, but no longer. I highly recommend that every entrepreneur learns to code. Still wondering if you need to code? Here is a programmer guide I put together to show you every step I took to become an entrepreneur that codes!
Also, I’ve finding the resume’s of people doing the job you want to do is helpful to know what you need to do to make the cut.

Looks like Edureka and Blockgeeks are well respected learning sources, those certifications have weight.

Some helpful direction from BlockGeeks
https://blockgeeks.com/guides/blockchain-developer/

@Trilamanila has an amazing youtube channel where he is going through DIY resources and learning to code to become a blockchain developer.

He also has a Discord channel where people with this same goal can join up and collab.
DM @Trilamanila for an invite and check out his youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTjD_vlPu96ONUxvlWp02yg

Thanks bro! Still a long ways to go

Don’t be so modest. You’re putting in the time on the daily and sharing the journey.

I would also reccomend justin moon’s buidl bootcamp, i took it myself and I can absolutely say it was worth it.

I’ll be doing a DCTV interview with him this evening, it should go up sometime in the next couple days. Stay tuned.