IN REAL TIME: GPU mining build trouble shooting with updates

Alright, plugged them in one by one. I got up to the third card. When the fourth was plugged in and the system powered on the screen came on. My mouse without borders didn’t work. I then restarted the machine to get the mouse without borders program to work. Upon restart black screen… So I then power down and unplug the fourth card. I start the system again and have black screen. Standby for more information as I restart it again.

Edit: The monitor VGA is plugged into onboard input.

3 Likes

Update 1: Upon trying to restart since unplugging the fourth card, my monitor is displaying no signal. So from there I unplugged 1 card per reboot trying to find the signal with no luck. Currently all cards are unplugged and still receiving the no signal from the monitor. Conclusion, an error with the onboard video. I also tried to unplug the monitor and replug but have the same message. Will attempt to plug in gpu 1 then plug the monitor into the gpu 1 since the onboard video is doing nothing for me atm.

3 Likes

Update 2: After shutting down the system via the kill switch on the back of the PSU I plugged in GPU1. I attempted to turn the system on and no response from the computer. Hypothesis: I may have just fried a 1300 evga PSU.

3 Likes

Update 3: Joy! After giving it a few minutes I pressed the power button and the PSU is feeding power to the system now. However the system is still unresponsive. I have plugged the monitor into the back of the GPU to no avail. Will reboot and reattempt the onboard video.

3 Likes

Disconnect everything except cpu, psu & ram & onboard video cable and see what happens.

4 Likes

Update 4: After taking the advice from a poster @goodoldfiat in the reply section I tried to restart the system this time with everything unplugged as recommended. Still no success. I have heard of the fabled blue screen of death. I wonder… is there such thing as a black screen of death?

3 Likes

Only if something is truly dead. I would try pulling the battery off the motherboard to get everything back to default. Unplug the machine and pull the battery out for say 10min just to be sure. Then put it back in, plug it in, and power on with out any GPU’s plugged in. This is just to ensure your foundation is working as intended which is your CPU/MB/PWR Supply/ and RAM.

3 Likes

Update 5: After listening to the advice of @Nekko I removed the battery and waited while listening to the good jams of newretrowave on youtube. Enough time elapsed so I then plugged the cmos battery and pressed the power button. Viola! It came back on and I was in BIOS. I found the items that @ImaginaryPi. I set the pcie to Gen 3. The computer is hard lined into the enternet so I didn’t see a need for the 3G/4G thing. I now begin the slow grueling process of testing the cards one by one again.

3 Likes

Glad it got you back to a functioning machine. I would leave the VGA set for the motherboard and once you get 3 cards working you will need to change the PCIe to Gen2 and sometimes Gen1 plus you will need to enable 4G decoding.

5 Likes

What is this 4G decoding thing? I cannot seem to find it in my BIOS.

3 Likes

What motherboard? It is in different locations

4 Likes

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/h81%20pro%20btc/

3 Likes

Well you can forget about that option as it seems there is no option for it but it is on by default and cannot be turned off.

4 Likes

Ok, I did manage to set the pcie to Gen 2. Can you tell me what that does?

4 Likes

It sets the speeds of the PCIe lanes. Mining doesn’t require high band width and from my understanding the slower speeds ensure stability when using so many devices on different lanes.

5 Likes

Ok, but as far as me plugging in that fourth card and my system failing again… any ideas what could be causing that catastrophic failure?

3 Likes

Yeh get three working and then try the fourth card on different PCIe sockets on the motherboard. It could be a bad socket on the MB. I have also found that sometimes you have to play musical chairs with the risers and PCIe express slots. Not sure exactly what this does but there have been many mining rigs that need this done in order to get all the cards up and running.

Are you using one power supply? If using more than one power supply the MB and all risers should be powered from one power supply and then the additional supply will feed GPU’s only.
How many Risers are you plugging into one cord? Best practice is only two cards per power cord off the power supply
Do you have the 4 pin molex power connector plugged in on the mother board? Sometimes the mining MB’s flip out if this is not plugged in.

4 Likes

So I have two molex power connectors on the mobo near the pcie slots. I have one cord coming out of my psu which is plugged into both molex pluggins on the mobo. The risers sata are powered by two cords coming from the psu. I have 3 risers sata attached to each cord. I am using one 1300 evga psu. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=120-g2-1300-xr

2 Likes

ok so you need to drop the number of risers per sata cord to two, especially if you are using 1070/570 or higher end video card as you will take a chance at power issues or worse melting your power cords.

Sounds like you have everything plugged in correctly the above is just a best practice but that power supply has enough connectors to follow this practice.

4 Likes

What do you think about the two molex pcie power connectors supplied on one cord?

2 Likes

💰 YEN · YouTube ·️ YEN.CAMP 🧠