Just installed Brave browser and freaked the F out

I knew about VPN and privacy thing but havent really paid big attention to it until just now.
Today I thought I need to take this security and privacy things bit more serious.
So I was reading few articles and decided to try out Brave browser. after using it for like 30 to 40 mins it showed me this result. Now I feel soo transparent. and little bit scared too. 75 trackers blocked in ~30 mins. wtf?

For those who are similar to me, i think its time to take it bit more serious!

10 Likes

question from experts: What browser do you guys use?

3 Likes

I use Firefox Nightly with Nano Adblocker & Defender, Https everywhere and Cryptonite (Yes, that’s a browser plugin).

3 Likes

I started using Brave on all my devices too. If you go into settings you can claim free coins too

5 Likes

My knowledge is really outdated. Free coins for using browser? Mind = Blown.

4 Likes

LOL. that is the longest plug-in name Ive ever seen.

2 Likes

That was 4 different extensions.

3 Likes

yes, although on my macbook pro I’m running into issues with the browser using 100% CPU for some reason…

2 Likes

why did you choose to use 4 plug-ins over 1 browser (brave)?

2 Likes

You will have to lookup the extensions and see what they do. Plus I like control. Brave gives you little control compared to Nano adblocker.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to look into using the Brave browser as well. I didn’t
realize you could get free coins.

1 Like

I decided to switch to a privacy browser a few months ago and it’s been quite an education to see what each site is trying to track you with. News websites regular try to put 15-30 on me per visit. I saw one recently (can’t remember which site) that was 47!

I researched a bunch of browsers and decided to go with Epic Privacy Browser.

The main reason I chose it is because it is built for privacy from the ground up, as opposed to having privacy and ad-blocking be an add-in or something you have to manage. Another requirement for me was no longer seeing those infernal Outbrain/Taboola clickbait ads.

2 Likes

I use chrome, with adblocker, kaspersky…and avg, avast, malwarebyte, windows security, bitdefemder, norton

Kidding just the first three and I seem to be ok… I think :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Getting mined bro? Might want to see what’s going on… I found recently avast did that to my windows comp, I switched to kaspersky and it’s good now

2 Likes

For sure you have to take this serious.
I use Opera (has anti-mining build in now) most of the time, with ‘Ublock’ and ‘History Eraser’. I have a VPN and I run a Raspberry Pi 3 with pi-hole and dnscrypt in my home network. Everything connected runs encrypted dns via the PI.

Pi-Hole caught this in the last 24h:

3 Likes

Just installed Brave also. Rather impressed at its performance over Chrome

5 Likes

Good set up. Can pi-hole block Youtube ads without Ublock extension?

1 Like

As nice as Brave sounds, I don’t like the fact it’s run by a homophobe that contributed funds to Proposition 8. https://www.upi.com/Business_News/2014/04/03/Mozilla-CEO-Brendan-Eich-steps-down-following-anti-gay-marriage-controversy/6481396556362/

2 Likes

The project seemed really great until I read your comment…
Actually i was paid few tokens today by their rewards program.

I heard that gab.com is working on a similar fork but will be using LN for integrated payments instead of BAT, which imo is absolutely better. Can’t wait honestly

1 Like

another great example of how/why bitcoin will eat the lunch of useless tokens created just to enrich the founders/creators.

real innovation will be forked and adopted by BTC.

1 Like