Keto Life - Info and Recipes

What is a Keto Diet?
overview of keto diet
A keto diet is well known for being a low carb diet, where the body produces ketones in the liver to be used as energy. It’s referred to as many different names – ketogenic diet, low carb diet, low carb high fat (LCHF), etc.

When you eat something high in carbs, your body will produce glucose and insulin.

Glucose is the easiest molecule for your body to convert and use as energy so that it will be chosen over any other energy source.
Insulin is produced to process the glucose in your bloodstream by taking it around the body.
Since the glucose is being used as a primary energy, your fats are not needed and are therefore stored. Typically on a normal, higher carbohydrate diet, the body will use glucose as the main form of energy. By lowering the intake of carbs, the body is induced into a state known as ketosis.

Ketosis is a natural process the body initiates to help us survive when food intake is low. During this state, we produce ketones, which are produced from the breakdown of fats in the liver.

The end goal of a properly maintained keto diet is to force your body into this metabolic state. We don’t do this through starvation of calories but starvation of carbohydrates.

example frittata recipe
Our bodies are incredibly adaptive to what you put into it – when you overload it with fats and take away carbohydrates, it will begin to burn ketones as the primary energy source. Optimal ketone levels offer many health, weight loss, physical and mental performance benefits.

Thanks for starting the thread @UncleChuck this was our keto supper…

Carbs are my true :heart:

:pizza: :pie::cake::candy:

Carbs > heroine & meth

This is the recipe I used http://keto-daily.com/keto-country-biscuit-recipe/

@UncleChuck i am halfway through my 3rd week , so no need for celebration, to early, but i think i’m past the keto flu :muscle: Over a decade ago i was in ketosis for about a year. 30 carbs max per day was very much mentally challenging to start, but the mental awareness and boundless energy are addictive. TBH @altcoinchick had a post with her and her son camping and when I saw the burger wrap i told @CryptoMom that’s it ill start on Sunday and please forgive me for the next couple of weeks cause I’m going to DT and its going to be AWESOME :joy: So far i am wining , no plans for that to change.

That is awesome. I started a few years ago to help improve my crossfit performance. Before that I was eating Primal, Mark Sisson, and doing some of his training. I have a friend that does triathlons and he turned me on to exogenous ketones so I drink those and then try to eat as close to keto as I can. I can shake one up and then be in ketosis in 30 - 45 minutes.

Breakfast crust

2 ounces cream cheese
2 cups mozzarella shredded
2 eggs beaten
1 cup almond flour
pinch salt & pepper

Mix together and put in greased pie pan

Spread it out and make into a crust

Poke holes in it with a fork

Bake for 10 minutes
400 degrees

Pull it out and top with:
3 eggs scrambled
Sausage or bacon or chorizo
1.5 cups of shredded cheese

Bake an additional 10-15 min

For the chorizo I topped with sour cream and avocado after

I have some keto drive but have no idea when or how to use it, I’ve been adding Mtc oil to my coffee every morning , how should I be thinking about the keto drive?

I’m not familiar with keto drive…what is that?

I was doing really well with keto and loving every bit of it. Then I had this hot date that made Texas style BBQ on the 4th and I’ve biffed it since, ending tonight with a surprise birthday party (and cake) for a girlfriend. I’m surprised, because even though I’m a sugar addict, keto was easy. The keto flu I thought was nasty enough to deter me falling off the wagon, but that date tho… So. Recommitting. Because losing 12 pounds in a couple weeks and having tons of energy, mental clarity, and just the satisfaction of feeling better and eating better is awesome.

Dating someone that is not familiar with ketosis has always thrown a monkey wrench into my diet… Especially when they prepare a dinner and you fell compiled to eat it because of all the effort that went into it along with how good it smells and taste… It only takes a week or so and I’m completely off the wagon and putting on pounds and feeling bad. I started keto back in 2015 and spent a couple of years doing solid on my diet. However, the last year has been a roller coaster ride being in ketosis for a few weeks and then back to the western diet for a few weeks with no ground gained getting back to my ideal weight and fitness level

Haha…that is exactly what was happening to me. That is why I now drink exogenous ketones. This keeps and/or puts me in ketosis within 30-50 minutes. The diet was great even though it takes about 2 weeks to get into ketosis by eating and then one mess up and BOOM I was out of it and then it took days to a week to get back into it.

I have some exogenous ketones on hand but would rather get my shit together and stick to what I should be doing. That said, I had some this morning, hoping there won’t be any weak moments or temptations today so I can get back on track.

@UncleChuck this is the two products I bought for Grandon. This is what he was talking about. Any experience with them?

as far as oils go i use mct oil in the morning. i just take a tablespoon in the morning and pour some on my salads as well

i get my electrolytes from capsules. i don’t salt foods as much as i need