Meditation: 90 day Challenge

So I’ve tried meditation a few times and have liked it, but never got any huge benefits from it as it was never consistent. So I am starting a 90 day challenge to improve and recollect myself. Day 1 (7-17-19) was simple breathing and posture. Body still tense in areas, mind still thinking but overall relaxed. I think clearing mind went decent, I know proper meditation takes tons of time and skill and that it’s ok to fail. It’s how we improve. Only did a 10 minute session, but I think I am going to go for a minimum of 20. Feel free to join me and let me know your progress and what/how you perform meditation. This will be updated on Yen.io as well.

-Corgi

8 Likes

Day2: 7-18-19

Instead of listening to an instructor guide you through the course I just set a timer for 20 minutes, popped in my headphones and listened to calming music. I did the 1st stage (showed in the part 2 video) of just trying to watch where my mind went. It’s interesting how many things flow through your mind when you just stop for 20 minutes. My mind went from “I’m sitting uncomfortable” to “I need to finish something” to “control breathing” to many many many more. As in Part 1, he explains how your brain in early stages is a Drunken Monkey Stung by a Scorpion in charge. Let us tame the monkey.

-Corgi

Part 1:

Part 2:

3 Likes

Cool thread. Have you ever heard of the Headspace app? I saw it advertised when I was learning language on Duolingo. There are multiple modules for meditation based on goals. I am going to eat breakfast and then meditate as well.

Ps. Ahh, this is really refreshing. I just did my first 5 minute guided meditation session with the Headspace app. It felt good to get it done before 10 am, which was when I originally planned on starting last night. I woke up this morning feeling refreshed, I was having a fun dream this morning, then when I awoke I wasn’t really sure which day it was, I like that, then even more so when it is Friday. I chose to do a shorter meditation session this morning because I want to ease in to the process. It was good to just sit an be aware of my breathing, my weight, my body, and the sounds around me. I had a deep sense of gratitude, for health, even feeling tense parts in my body, it allowed me to relax more. I had this feeling like peace, I have everything I need, and I don’t necessarily need anybody else. However, then I was guided to let my mind and thoughts run free and I began to think of all of the people and things that I am grateful for.

Thanks for starting this thread. I will continue to meditate daily.

2 Likes

Funny. I just re-downloaded the headspace app. It really helped me to not lose my mind during the 2015-16 U.S. elections -looks like 2019-20 will have even more fascist, nazi, racist spewage thrown about so I sm going back to daily headspace!

3 Likes

Day 3: 7-19-19

Oh wow, where to start. This meditation session was very interesting and somewhat trippy. So as per the stage 1 meditation (first 30 days) I decided to watch my thoughts again. This was a 20 minute session and it broke down something like this:

I have music playing on very low setting to drown out dogs walking around the wood floors outside the room. The first 5 minutes or so my mind is racing every which way. There is so much going through I cannot decipher it. It’s all gibberish.

The next 5 minutes, my thoughts had slowed but there’s still a lot going through my mind. I am starting to get uncomfortable. I start to watch my thoughts about my discomfort but do not intervene. They fade away and return.

After 10 minutes or so I realized my body have this feeling. It would start in my head, slowly go down my neck and chest. As it did, it felt as if something was tilting me off balance and you would feel a rush move through your arms do your fingers as well as into the legs. This semi freaked me out as the best way I can describe it is “Like when you’re sleeping and you feel like you’re falling, and you twitch yourself awake”. However you don’t twitch, you only get the electrifying signals through your body and I would concentrate on my breathing pattern. This happened about every 2-3 minutes until the end.

The last 5 minutes were truly astonishing. I say this because my mind was looking for other thoughts and really nothing came up. I’d have something rush through here and there, but it felt as if my mind had filtered through everything and processed it and now, just sat there. The only repeats were uncomfortably, the falling feel and the wondering of how long I had been meditating.

As my alarm went off and let me know that I could return, I told myself to open my eyes slowly as I adjusted back. My eyes had rolled back into my head and eyes twitched and struggled as if they were held tight. This wasn’t scary, but definitely caught me off guard. It felt as if I was returning to my body after having an “out of body” experience. I think when my alarm goes off I will sit there and give myself a minute to comeback and allowing thinking before just getting up.

All in all I think I am enjoying it and it’s very interesting to see how this is all processed.

-Corgi

5 Likes

Day 4: 7-20-19

This one was really long, I set my timer for 15 minutes and somewhere it had frozen and decided not to count down at all. So I eventually became uncomfortable enough to pull myself out of meditation and look. It was probably 30-35 minutes or so. I celebrated my birthday from earlier this week with friends and had a few more drinks than I wanted to have so I think that’s what helped lead to it as well. I would have been pretty set with a 15 minute session.

Anyways… I am headed off to bed to catch some ZzZzZ’s

-Corgi

6 Likes

Nice. Stay the course. This is fascinating … happy birthday!

3 Likes

Happy Birthday!

I got an announcement from Headspace yesterday while in a moment of bliss, infiltrating and destroying the enemy base in Fortnite, “How are you feeling right now?” I had to laugh. I counted it for meditation. I did some sort of meditation on a study of “Shalom” earlier in the day. Something about peace isn’t the lack of turmoil, rather the feeling of completeness in connecting to a higher power.

This morning I decided to just meditate in bed for a while. I don’t remember much, besides hearing the fan, feeling thankful for comfort and basic needs being met, and had some thoughts about the GIS lab from undergraduate studies. I relaxed my tense muscles. It felt good to meditate naked, lying down, and without app guidance.

Maybe I’ll meditate again later today just to see what the app might teach me.

4 Likes

Day 5: 7-21-19

So I did a Sleep Meditation for 20 minutes via the Peloton App. That was the place where I had done my first meditation (I’ve slacked on the bike part lately but still trying to use the service). It’s instructor led and we mentally put things in a box and put them away to tell ourselves we cannot open them back up until after we sleep. We put away our bad moments of the day, what we could have done better. We put our good moments away, what we exceled at. We then went and concentrated on breathing. Releasing the tension and let the thoughts pass by and disappear. 20 minutes flew by, thats for sure.

So it’s only been 5 days, and I think I can honestly say I am seeing benefits. Nothing earth shattering, but we are improving. To have a brief time to actually unwind. Yeah, we decompress from doing what we like, but unless you spent 20 minutes plus meditating… you don’t realize how crazy on crack your mind is. Just these past few days have worked so well for stress. I have been super stressed of everything that is going on in life, at work. I want to take time and do what I want, but I also want to do what I need to as well. There isn’t enough time, and I suck at time boxing (B90X made it better though.) I always thought if I don’t have time to do any of that how would I have time to meditate? Well thanks to it I do get relief. I have been better about timeboxing. I get to drink that cup of coffee without worrying if it will raise my heart up enough with the added stress. I have been happier. I wake up earlier. I get better quality sleep.

It has come from “I don’t have time to do it” to “I’m going to do it no matter what”. If you are reading this and you have never tried meditating, I urge you to. If you’ve tried it and failed to keep up with it, do it again. Post on here and we can keep eachother going at it. It certainly isn’t easy as “Just sitting there”. That was my first mistake. But when you get a moment of clarity, even if it’s only 3 seconds in a 20 minute session, it is addicting. As we train, we become more efficient and that’s where the TRUE benefits come in.

-Corgi

5 Likes

Good stuff, man! I read this last night before signing off so it motivated me to do some meditation before sleep. I usually pray, and I believe the mindfulness of meditation is also helping me, like stopping between prayer to wait for a sort of conversation. We are improving. Let’s add some exercise to our regimens and also practice short sprints of meditation throughout the day. I’m getting better at time boxing too, everyday. I’m glad your quality of life is improving, mine as well. We can handle everything going on in life and at work. Peace be with you, Corgi.

4 Likes

Day 6: 7-22-19

I will keep this one short and sweet. I did another Peloton 15 minute sleep session, mainly just due to time. I definitely get better results just in silence or with calming music very low. Not to say the Peloton meditation is bad, just a different form. It’s great for relaxing as someone tells you to release you shoulders, your back, etc and it becomes a moment where you can do as your told and feel relaxed. However to get that AND clear your mind, you must put in some work. When you are actively listening to instructions it prevents your minds from dismissing the thoughts as you are processing what you are instructed. So tomorrow I want to go back to the other way I’ve learned.

Like I said, short and sweet tonight. My body is relaxed and I am ready for bed now. Cheers.

-Corgi

3 Likes

Just reading your meditation posts make me relax, Chris. Thanks again for sharing. I continued my Bible study on peace today. Last week I was studying love. I’m also noticing some nice results with meditation and sobriety. This is the last week of one month without coffee and cannabis. I am experiencing clarity. Thank you for keeping me accountable to meditate, this evening after reading your post I am doing Headspace meditation, and tonight its called a Sleepcast, to create perfect conditions for refreshing sleep. I’m excited because I only slept 6 hours last night and it doesn’t feel totally healthy for me. Oh, never mind the sleep cast is for subscribers so I didn’t listen to the sleepy time sounds, but I thought it was cool how they remind us that a regular sleep time is important for good sleep so I set the notification. I usually keep the temperature at 78 during the day to embrace some warmth, then 76 a bit later to read and work in comfort, then tonight I decided to lower the thermostat to 74 instead of 75. lol. Anyways, I continued the basic meditation session, just for 5 minutes. The app asked me how I was feeling, and I am feeling great after getting a text from an employer, he told me “We have been dreaming about you coming to work with us” and so I booked a flight to go and do my best. I love travel, working in nature, and working with cool people, like brothers. I also changed the mediation guide to a female voice, because that is more relaxing for me. There were some nice reminders before the session about meditation being a skill to be learned. Also, how are brains are always changing, this is so amazing and such a wonderful reminder. I meditated right here in front of my computer, cross legged in my computer chair, leaned back. We began with our eyes open, focusing on our breathing. Then, after some nice focus and rhythms of breathing, we were instructed to slowly close our eyes, and I just slammed mine shut, lol. I’m still practicing. We were instructed to feel the weight our bodies, our arms, our legs, their weight, in the chair, and/or on the floor, and notice the sounds around us. I have a fan going on the far end of the room, I’m sitting in the path of the A/C outflow, and I can hear my other computer behind me gently whirring because I’m leaning back with my head next to it. Then, I was told to not let the sounds dominate my focus, which was easy for me. Focusing on breathing seems to be a primary task. This makes sense because oxygen is so important for our brains and our entire body. It was funny how I really did find my mind wandering to things that are important to me, however the guide gently reminded us that if our minds are wandering, to refocus on our breathing. I had begun to think about my previous Bible studies, my girlfriend… then I got the reminder to focus on breathing. It was blissful. Again, in that moment, I appreciated the process that I am in, the ability to breathe, and I just chose to fully love myself. It feels really amazing. Sometimes my ego can dominate which I try to avoid, and other times I am not really loving myself, which is something I have been working on, because I want to take care of myself and also be able to love others. There was also a sensation of levitation, probably because I slammed this chair on the ground in a moment of anger when I got out of jail a few months ago and realized the police had been lying to me. So, this chair is broken, and the other day I leaned back too far and it fell over, lol. So yeah, maybe I was swiveling on that edge with crossed legs. I also couldn’t help but think when I was meditating, its better when nude. I mean, I usually have to readjust some clothing when I first begin. I think meditation requires this process of getting comfortable. 5 minutes has been a nice beginning, but today it is not enough, or maybe just right for now. I feel like I am in ecstasy, since meditating for 5 minutes and writing this post. This feeling would be nice to prolong, perhaps intensify or transform into something else, and tomorrow I will meditate for 10 minutes. I hope that we are all choosing to be aware of ourselves, truly loving ourselves, and also being aware of our capabilities to transform our mental and physical states. I am learning to appreciate that meditation is a skill to be practiced and learned. I’m excited to continue practicing and learning. This lady says that we don’t have to control our thoughts in meditation, which is an interesting concept, because she also makes suggestions. However, I’m sure there are different types of meditation. The body scanning is particularly difficult for me, like I always go too slow. So, tomorrow I will give it more time. If this is too much, just let me know and I will keep a journal, lol. I think this is cool how we can share our experiences and maybe it will help someone else.

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear you are enjoying it @FloridaWater . I love being able to see and compare how others meditation experiences differ from mine. We are improving ourselves in one way, yet that improvement benefits everything we do.

-Corgi

2 Likes
3 Likes

Day 7: 7-23-19

Wow! It’s already been a week!
I will take a slight victory lap in something I thought I never would have tried.

So today I went for earlier versus waiting to do it before bed. The only real reason was I am experimenting to see what works best for me. There are different ways to meditate and relaxing before bed is nice, but right now I’m experimenting with de-cluddering my mind. I want to be able to take the bad, acknowledge it and put it away in a box. Then, I want to be able to take the good, acknowledge it and put it away in a box.

So today I tried a little freestyle exercise. I went and played some calming sounds at the lowest volume. I sat up with my legs crossed and had my palms face down on my knees. I did the breathing technique and tried to decompress and unwind from my day for about 10 minutes. As I started to become uncomfortable in my position, I switched my hand position to palms stacked facing upwards in the center of my lap. I did this position for another 10 minutes. When my 20 minute session had ended I brought myself to slowly, and streched my arms out to the side arcing upwards above my head. I bent forward and put my hands on the floor in front of me (reached out) and slowly made the arc back out to my sides. This relieved the tension and discomfort I felt in my back.

I went found another 5 minute session, laid down on my back with my hands stacked palm down onto my chest and concentrated on breathing. This was like a cool down session to a workout where you are relaxing yourself as I had done in the first 10 minute stage.

All in all, this wasn’t my greatest meditation session, but I felt very relaxed. Not tired, relaxed. I could go to sleep however if I wanted to. :smile: The only thing I need now is a dedicated meditation mat for more comfort as I am using a dog bed pad and it is more comfortable than hardwood floors, but not optimal. :doge:

-Corgi

3 Likes

Congratulations to you for choosing discipline and completing your first week. Good stuff. I finally watched the two videos you first posted earlier, good to know. I meditated for 10 minutes today, longest time yet with Headspace. Y’all know how it goes. Not as much ecstasy today, I did my session in the middle of the day, I felt so relaxed, and also took some time to readjust afterwards. I wanted to take a nap afterwords too but I chose to watch some videos on psychology instead. I’m more of a night owl so I think I like meditating in the evening, I hear the morning is good too for setting the day, but I also like the idea of relaxing mid day to de-clutter the mind, especially after thinking about some past trauma earlier. I’m still meditating in my big office computer chair leaning back because it is comfortable. Jai on brother man.

3 Likes

Day 8: 7-24-19

Did a 25 minute session today and I did it the @FloridaWater way. Sat in my office chair. Still did it in our workout room (3rd bedroom) with my Himalayan salt lamp on in the corner. Nice calming light.

So I have been doing the same breathing exercise since the first video and I have realized that…

1. it was from a 5 or 10 minute video
  2. it trips your body out if you do it more than 10 minutes.
  3. after 10 minutes you lose your meditation and become fidgety and aggravated.

So I was doing breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 7 seconds, exhale for 8 seconds, repeat.

Like I said for 5 minutes it’s fine as you are slowing your heart rate and “pushing out that negative energy”. However after this 25 minute session I found that I would short count the exhale or not hold the breath as I needed more air. I’d ‘panic’ slightly and tell myself “BREATHE!” I was doing a bedtime breathing exercise meant for a few minutes… yet here I am stressing myself out when I am supposed to be the most calm.

So I learned to do the Ujjayi (“healing”) breath (5 seconds in and 5 sec out through nose only) for the normal meditation sessions, so we’ll try that tomorrow night.

I also did 5 minute of breathing and stretching post session. Hoping I sleep better tonight as for some reason I woke up this morning sore and had a stomach bug feeling, bad enough that I called into work and I never do that. Anyways I will post a video if you are interested in learning the Ujjayi breath.

-Corgi

5 Likes

i love that you’re doing this! i’m tracking this now!

4 Likes

I used to not be a believer in this practice, but after being so stressed out and getting irritated at the smallest stupidest things, and then having this feeling of it being excessive where it was unhealthy… I NEEDED a change. I was so good and patient, and then I would literally get mad at work and throw a tool. I’d play a game and get mad at stupid little mistakes. I’d worry about things that I had to do or get done. Who want’s to live that way? How can someone live that way? This doesn’t fix the entire world where it’s all rainbow and unicorns, but it disconnects you for a fraction of time and helps you recoup.

The funniest thing was I would say "That’s another 20 minutes or so I have to add into my day, yet I feel like I have more time because I am relaxed and I am more satisfied playing a few matches in a game or watching an episode of a show rather than going on a binge. We want to decompress but we also need to disconnect and scan ourselves. Clear the clutter and fix our registry like computers. They run a lot better then.

3 Likes

Lol! Damn! Sorry to laugh, but I totally feel you bro! I enjoy “square breathing” 15 seconds in/hold/out when I’m at the beach and like to do some yoga or what I thought was “meditation”. I would say inhale equal to or longer than times holding and exhaling. Since I’ve started following the Headspace method though, I don’t count at all, I just want focus on breathing or nothing at all really. I have to give you big props for doing these 20 minutes sessions already, man. I was feeling excited to today because I got my felony convictions changed to withhold of adjudication and so when the app asked me how I was feeling, I chose “excited” and then it recommended the “Happiness Meditation”, lol. I was like… I’m already happy? lol. Maybe this is for EQ to channel excitement to happiness and contentment. Anyways, I did the meditation and cranked it up to 20 minutes. It was pretty standard, similar to the 5 minutes, but it just felt so long between when I was hearing her voice and I almost wanted to check if the session was still going because I could hear my phone vibrating with some messages too. I chose to focus on breathing. She started with the eyes open as usual, in through nose, out through mouth, which is good for a change, but when eyes close she guides for nose only and I prefer that. I was visualizing some things I have been visualizing for weeks that I want to manifest that make me happy, only because it was suggested in this particular exercise. I probably made it about 15 minutes and then I fell asleep. I woke up about 50 minutes after I had begun. I was a little disappointed but also kind of content because I felt like I had been meditating in my light sleep. I also got a message from someone I had been passively thinking about being happy with during this time. I have had this phenomenon for the last 10 years, where I am thinking about someone, and I usually hear from them very soon. Someone last week told me this is a bad sign, and not to pursue that, but I don’t agree. I respect free will of people, and I also believe in a sort of mystic wifi connection. Anyways, I’m resolving to continue 5 minute sessions, and step up to 10 minute sessions, also avoiding to meditate shortly after eating a heavy plate, and if doing longer sessions to sit without a backrest as the first video you shared recommends. I was meditating before court today eyes closed just for a few minutes, and then eyes open in court during the decision making time, a mix of prayer to God and meditation. Good results meditating on, “In God We Trust”. Thanks again for starting this thread, bud, it gave me the extra push to just begin after hearing about this and thinking about this from time to time for years. I have enjoyed some yoga every once in a while over the last 10 years, mostly for stretching, focusing, the breathing, and calmness. In the Bhagavad Gita true yoga is “channeling a connection with Krishna”. I don’t know if this is taught in most Western yoga classes. I can also appreciate how the first video you shared mentions that meditation does not involve and gods, any deities, any new-ageism, and I think this is appealing to Westerners who do not want to be involved in these things. I think some other kinds of meditation do involve religion, and meditation also involves spirituality by definition, “the quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things” although we do sometimes have thoughts of material or physical things arise while meditating. I’m trying to understand the boundaries and overlaps. I hope that your stomach feels better soon. I drink plenty of water because of a medication I am taking, and I’m happy to practice meditation because it is supposed to be good for mental illness. Maybe you slept in a strange position. I don’t sleep on my stomach because of an old spinal chord injury. Yes, sir, the scan is good. Also, the other day during a short 5 minute meditation session I was seeing this white circle surrounded by black, the white circle was diminishing being surrounded by darkness but never disappearing and then jumping becoming large again in repetition. It was sort of like a circular illusion but without the repeated lines, and it felt peaceful so I just embraced it. Some old friend who liked cid talked about closed eyes visuals and I don’t like that substance but it was interesting to experience something similar. I mean, we can all imagine things with our eyes closed. One thing I like to do a bit while meditating is to look up at my forehead. I think I read this when reading about yogic meditation and getting rid of negative emotional energy because this is where our third eye is supposed to be. However, then I remember I’m supposed to just relax, so I try not to think about anything but breathing and being.

2 Likes

· YEN · YouTube · 10 Days of Bitcoin ·