Newbie mobo power connector question

Hey i’m assembling my first pc/rig. Do I need to plug the cpu pwr 1 connector on the mobo (z270 sli plus) to the power supply via a pcie cable? It’s all going pretty well so far I just want to make sure all of my power cables are in the right places. Check out the pics below for what I’m talking about.

https://imgur.com/KL1airr

3 Likes

A lot of motherboards won’t post if you don’t have anything plugged into the CPU fan power, and have a fan hooked up. (I had that problem with a rig from this month) - most I’ve seen are 4 or 6 pins tho not 8 :dizzy_face: Either way can try setting it up without it and if nothing posts you know you’ll have to have a fan+ plug it in

1 Like

Your psu should have a cable marked cpu on one end and the psu marked on the other end. Only use this cable. The pcie cable should not fit in that hole I believe.

2 Likes

Hey most of the cables are not labeled. I found an 8 pin cable that is all together on one end, and broken into 2 four pins on the other side. Both ends are full of leads (sometimes one lead will be missing making a 7 pin female end with one of the cavities empty of metal) Do you think this is the proper cable to go from the psu to the cpu pwr1 on the mobo?

2 Likes

Normally the 4+4 that you showed us is labeled for the CPU (on mine each just needed half) , and that should be the one nra4ever mentioned, the dude that doesn’t split goes in the psu. I would try to look up your motherboard to confirm it won’t blow anything out (don’t want to give any advice that might mess up your rig), but that’s the one I would use.

1 Like

The ones with the 7 pins (one empty) usually end up used for the GPU if it needs to be plugged in beyond just the risers

1 Like

Ok awesome thanks I think all of my gpus take the 7 pin as well as sata power from the risers. I have the 1070 8gb cards and the leboo risers. Z270 SLI Plus Mobo. And Firestorm 1050 PSU.

2 Likes

💰 YEN · DCTV ·️ Bitcoin Lambo · 10 Days of Bitcoin ·️ CEO's Brainpan 🧠