OFFGRID MINING. Need Help on what to mine and gear to buy. FREE Electricity

We have been living off the grid for almost 5 years. We have more solar power than we use.
We would like to get a little money made for our future off of the Free God Given Power.

I know CPU miners are a thing of the past now. Tried it and it will just burn up a laptop.
I don’t know if a GPU setup will work since I don’t fully understand what exactly they can mine.
ASIC are costly but with free-power it might be worth while.

We do have 25mps satelite internet. 50 G per month and that can be upgraded.

If anyone can help us understand the best solution we would be grateful.

2 Likes

@BillA I’ve looked into solar power as a way to get “Free” electricity. I don’t know what the cost of solar panels are in Oklahoma but here in GA, they are EXPENSIVE! The ROI alone would take nearly 15-20 years. For you to run a GPU rig, you have to be able to supply 36 kWh/day. 1 panel produces are 250 watts per hour of full sun. Assuming you get 4 hours of full sun, you should produce 1 kWh per day. So you need 36 panels to support 1 6-gpu rig.

1 Like

Solarblvd.com is the best place to buy solar. We run solar trackers fully off the grid. we run our home 24/7 fully off solar and battery.

1 Like

I’ve also read that you may encounter more latency with satellite internet, which could affect the percentage of “shares” accepted while mining on a pool. That may be something to consider also.

1 Like

gpu mining is kinda toast, especially when eth switches to proof of stake, plus you would need about 30-40 kwh of battery storage, the mining units (bitmain miners) use from 800-1300 watts, depending on the unit. You could run it while the sun shines (you would need about 1500 watts constant from the panels) but then your roi is screwed. It would prob be best to just invest that $$ into bitcoin and hodl.
If you were on grid and could get a good rate on feeding the grid it would be better.

my 2 satoshis worth…

1 Like

the problem with ASIC isnt electrical costs… its the difficulty spikes. and cone they arent profitbaly they are doorstops since they can only mine 1 thing

GPU mining you have a broader range. once the difficutly is up you can more to a new algorithm or even sell the cards to gamers.

If power isnt an issue then id go for initial cost vs. hashpower

1070’s or VEGAS dual mining ethereum and decred seems the most profitably right now

1 Like

ASIC/Bitmain is very profitable. gpu mining is not as much. The price of cards, power supply, motherboard, cables for the cards and so on makes the roi very hard.
Also, etherium is switching to proof of stake so…

check out the bitmain l3+ compared to 10 x 1070 cards.

1 Like

We have 3600+ watts of solar 35280watt hours (1470 ah), We are only home a couple days a week. Have plenty of power to run 2000 watts of draw (16 amps @120v) or I can run the miners dirrectly off the 24 volt system with step down 24 to 12v inverters. My solar is tracked. 10 to 12 hours of sun a day.
We do plan on bringing in grid to hybrid netmeter for a little extra cash. Our power company pays for the extra.

1 Like

We run 3600+ watts at 24 volts on solar trackers. Trojan l16e batteries. 1470 AH. Aims LF PS Charge/CC/Inverter with midnite Solar Classic 150’s feeding the batteries. We also have a dual core 24/24 1200 watt wind turbine.

2 Likes

have ordered the stuff to build a GPU mining rig. I can mine many different coins and some of the smaller ones and hope they become bigger. ETH is useless to mine GPU. But just curious of which smaller coins - ZEC, XMR etc… I spent just under 2 grand on my GPU miner parts. My solar system paid for itself several years ago with no power bill.

1 Like

The L5 and earlier are from my research not profitable for Bitcoin. I could be wrong. I also want flexibility in what I can mine also.

1 Like

its not too bad. 25mbs up and down. about a 1/3 of a second delay.
But some days my cellular internet is fast on 4g lte

2 Likes

We have 3600 watts @ 24volts on solar trackers, giving us 10 to 12 hours of sun a day. I have spare 16 amps (2000 watts at 120v) and still stay above my low limit on my battery bank. 35280watt hours (1470 ah) the conversion between 120 volts and 24 volts is 1/2 amp draw compared to the 12 volt systems. We run welders, power tools (table saws, chop saws, drill press, etc. run 2 freezers and a fridge plus multiple Apple computers and security system.
It is amazing what you can run when you build your system way too big for your needs. Plus we can still add to it. it’s a growable system. We are looking into Hybrid Net metering our excess back to the grid if we can come to an agreement with the local power company.

1 Like

If you have the infrastructure then DO IT! No electrical costs, all profit. You know what the electrical demand is going to be and if you can support that, then you are golden. Let us know what you need help with.

1 Like

Just choosing the right coin to mine. Looking for long term investments. XVG, XMR, ZEC ETC. I can’t get a good read on the coins with BTC going nuts.

1 Like

Mine the most profitable for the type of card you get. AMD - Ethereum, Nvidia - Zcash. Either use Nicehash which their program will choose the most profitable for you and you get paid in BTC. Or mine for a pool, have the deposit go to bittrex and change it out for BTC yourself. Your investment is secure in BTC.

1 Like

I have been sending some to bittrex to invest with but I put most in my exodus wallet. Thanks for the advice.
I got a good deal on ATI Radeon HD 7670 4GB DDR5 128Bit
http://gpuboss.com/graphics-card/Radeon-HD-7670 gives them 6 out of 10
He tested the 1GB memory cards I the got the 4GB
71.83 mh/s on bitcoin mining. Which I will not use them for.
https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison/raw_data has more data.
I think they will be good to learn with.

1 Like

The data you are reading on that website is from 2012. The difficulty for mining has gone WAY up since then. I don’t believe you will be getting anywhere near 71 mh/s with that card. Especially not with mining bitcoin.

1 Like

Antminer s9 would be the bitcoin machine. but what would be the return on it? I think you would have to buy 10 to see real money and I’m not rich.
Hopefully, the cards will do alright script mining.

2 Likes

run though this calc, it is pretty kool.

2 Likes

💰 YEN · YouTube ·️ YEN.CAMP 🧠