Rebalancing vs Buying in Top 10: $1,043,902 Profits!

I think after seeing this data and implementing these tactics for 2018, I might change a few things. For example, if you don’t make profits by the end of the first month, I’d probably let it ride on a quarterly rebalance.

Or I might just keep BTC and rebalance the rest. Just a few options you can do.

4 Likes

From your data, quarterly gave the best returns.

7 Likes

Amazing stuff! Thanks for the data mate :slight_smile: One of the many reasons the pub is such a great place. I am going to smash another 10 or 20k into crypto first week of Jan and I shall follow this approach I think. Quarterly rebalancing looks sweet and is the least work I suppose.
I will endeavour to DCA with $100 p/w into either LTC/ICX/NEO or ADA (I have yet to decide). Thanks again!

5 Likes

What matters is the returns I believe. Anyone can start doing this with just a 1000 bucks and split into 10. Last year they’d end up with 169K following the quarterly plan.

The only problem is that when I look at the market cap and coin value growth, it looks unreal. I don’t know if it will be the same in 2018, but on the other hand the market seems to grow exponentially and it might do so in 2018 too.

6 Likes

Awesome work, Thanks. Keep up the good work. Worth the experiment!!

3 Likes

sounds a lot like an index fund - should be fairly solid strategy in a market always going up

4 Likes

Exactly this! ajfkdljm;fsd

3 Likes

I don’t get it…are you taking the profits ONLY and reinvesting them, or are you taking the profits AND total investment and reinvesting them, meaning your cashing out and buying back in every month?..sorry but this doesn’t make sense when I read the above to paragraphs, they seem to be working against one another. “divide them by 10”…by 10 so each of the top 10 in January are then split into 10 equal parts? What? I’m so confused by those to paragraphs they seem to be contradictory…how do you take only your profits for rebalancing but then you take your profits and your investment? Please clarify where this idiot (me, I’m the idiot) is lost?? I’m not good at this apparently.

3 Likes

Should it only see a quarter of the growth of 2017 it will still blow my tiny little mind! (I’m trying very hard not to have super high expectations)

4 Likes

Split 10k equally over top ten. Q2 divide all monies in said portfolio equally over current top 10 and go again etc…

5 Likes

He splits 10k into 10 coins, then at the end of the month, he takes the full amount and divide equally into 10 coins and repeat every month. There is no profit taking involved in the calculations.

4 Likes

so its essentially reinvesting with a (hopefully) larger pile every month but only into the top 10 coins that are the top 10 at the set date (lets say the 5th of every month) for every period? therefore accepting any buy and sell fees?

2 Likes

Yerp :slight_smile: djkslalkjgfds

3 Likes

Got it. Thank you. That didn’t make sense the first time through because I assumed we all wanted to avoid as much selling and rebuying as possible given that the fee will cost you a small amount of of your investment each time.

2 Likes

…or I could’ve looked at column F for each month…thanks for explaining it.

3 Likes

Also, my biggest issue with this is I would have to own Bitcoin Cash - LOL

16 Likes

Yup, I don’t take into consideration of the fees here and what the cost of the alt coin is with BTC. The data isn’t 100%, but gives a decent widespread look at the overall picture.

5 Likes

and with the new tax law every coin to coin profit/loss would be taxed but I presume we could just take our End of Year and say "started with 10k, ended up with 973k, and then just that’s your taxes when it’s done but no more hodling for a year for capital gains cause you’re takxed with every trade

3 Likes

got it. thank you for posting this! im going to do it next year…in a few days.

3 Likes

thinking of doing this - a couple thoughts

• probably spread it out over 2-3 markets? I don’t know if it’s a good idea to leave the coins there or move them off wallet because jeez- fees - but maybe for most of those the fees are minimal?
      2 - would I have to push all 9 coins back in to BTC and then back down? Again - fees - but if it were quarterly which is what I lean towards, then it’s only 4 times the fees and not 12
      3 - are all these gains going to be taxed at regular income for every trade, or only if I hold btc for a year - again I get the impression that some exchanges, like Binance, with a burner email - the taxman might be shit out of luck till I brought it as BTC to coinbase -

some on bittrex and some on binance perhaps? I might try this but I’d only be able to do $500 unless I gave up some of my BTC scratch and I’m still trying to get the full coin so hopefully not

3 Likes

💰 YEN · DCTV ·️ Bitcoin Lambo · 10 Days of Bitcoin ·️ CEO's Brainpan 🧠