Should I learn programming?

The question refers to the blockchain, in terms of understanding how it works and how we can contribute to it by our programming and coding knowledge. Also, might be useful for developing smart contracts. What do you think?

10 Likes
10 Likes

Better to ask where to start…

6 Likes

Where to start? I am asking, lol.

4 Likes

I feel like i’ve answered this before…

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing it with us.

2 Likes

of course. coding takes discipline just like crypto :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Software is eating the world. Learn coding

3 Likes

what if i did a short, introductory workshop on how to start building software?

17 Likes

I would cry.
I want to get started and learn I just don’t know where to start, where to learn from etc.

4 Likes

Ten days of coding? :wink:

6 Likes

That sound like a BRILLIANT Email Course on where to start, why you should do it now, and whatever other value that would bring! Would Love to get my kid into something like that. My daughter taught herself how to reprogram Vampire of the Masquerade, and I think something like that would be perfect to encourage the younger generation, and even some of us old fogies, to get in the coding game For crypto.

4 Likes

Yes please :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My understanding of programming from an outsider’s perspective is that the real challenge is to have a coherent designing process
You need vision and a really logical mind to draw some smooth architecture.
Then coding is just a tedious process to go through that most people can learn to turn that design into a product.

3 Likes

I think there is some truth to this statement:

However, there is a distinct lack of focus and intention to this in most education programs today. I don’t think it is difficult. I think it is often overlooked and all of the benefits are at times less directly apparent.

Perhaps all programmers need to learn not to name all their variables after Hostess snack cakes the hard way. Maybe they need to commit once with functional code that doesn’t fit the established patterns. I tend to think naming things well (arguably one of the hardest parts of programming) and using the proper level of abstraction (apparently also one of the hardest parts of programming) can be taught. This is one reason I am a strong advocate of automated functional testing. It’s not perfect and doesn’t eliminate the need for dog-fooding, ad-hoc, smoke tests or stress tests but I find value in knowing all of the parts are working as intended.

Maybe I am just getting old but I tend to write tests first (except when coding while intoxicated).

3 Likes

Yes please, would be very interested in this :boom:

3 Likes

… the question is whether your quality of code :point_up_2: or :point_down::troll:

4 Likes

Quality is correlated to the BAC as illustrated here: https://www.xkcd.com/323/

2 Likes

I just started to learn programming because of the Blockchain.
I’m currently doing the Harvard CS50 Online Mooc (which makes me cry on a regular basis…).

It would be super-helpful to get some insight from somebody with RL-Experience.

3 Likes

💰 YEN · YouTube ·️ YEN.CAMP 🧠