SwampCooler / "Evaporative Cooler"

As I gradually expand into converting one of our rooms into a mining room, I can already feel the heat building up w/ 7 x GTX 1070s, I realized that I will need to come up with a solution to the ~Heat~ without cranking up the A/C and wasting earnings on central air.
From my old days as a college kid turning wrenches for spending money, we used to make Evaporative Coolers aka “Swamp Coolers” in the shop where we had no AC (garage doors always open).

I wanted to get peoples’ thoughts on this idea.

Cheaper than A/C, can be lifted up to be kid friendly, cools whole room.
It does cause humidity to rise, so keep that in mind.

Anyone with experience on this for mining? There is some discussion of it on the interwebs, but couldnt find any good posts of people using it actively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ubf0zqvSQ

2 Likes

I would be afraid of the moisture it would produce and the effects on the machines.

2 Likes

How about liquid cooling? Is that a viable option?

1 Like

The cost of the liquid cooling blocks and equipment is what turns me away from this.
Then there is immersion cooling and is not feasible for me.

Thx for the input - will stick to circulating air. If i find the cheapest CFM air movers with the best airflow / watt, i will post it up on here.

1 Like

is there a way to pipe the air out of the room?

1 Like

i could vent through the windows by using a window AC unit spacers / extensions and some plastic rods w/ industrial hot glue, and then cover the miners w something as simple as a bedsheet on frames + fan blowing into it lolz.

1 Like

@Drdermis How many units are you looking to build out to? I’m going to do a thread of cooling very soon but you are having the problem now so let’s address it quickly. So let’s plan for what your future expansion is going to be.

1 Like

How’s this going @DrDermis?

id start with heat dissipation before cooling. channel the heat out with duct/tubing/fans first. you would be suprised how big a difference that makes.

1 Like

💰 YEN · YouTube ·️ YEN.CAMP 🧠