The Future of The Pub™️

gifit

hey folks, it’s me, john. yes, it’s been a hot minute! for those that might have forgotten, i’m one of the founders of the pub™️, along with @peter and since the beginning we’ve done our best to be transparent with the state of the project / biz.

right now, we’ve both moved on in different directions and i’m trying to figure out “where” this little slice of the internet should end up… ultimately, i’m still paying the monthly bills to keep things running… a dynamic IP address + global CDN (content delivery network) + messaging / email service(s) + hosting and domain registration, etc… it all adds up at the end of the month.

i want to drop this note here and give it some time to bake…:

where does the pub go from here?

i’d love your thoughts, as always.

10 Likes

When MOON? When Lambo?

4 Likes

Honestly… I hate to say it, but shut it down.

I do love the Pub, but I’ve thought about moving on a lot of times. I’m sure many people still enjoy it, but there are only a few dozen active users, which makes it pretty hard to justify the maintenance costs.

You guys did your best, and you did a great job of it. But it’s just too hard to compete with Reddit, Telegram, Discord, etc. Forums in general just aren’t doing well these days.

Whatever your decision @john, I think we will all understand and support it.

7 Likes

I would say shut it down. Most of the active members here are pretty toxic and just looking for a way to brag about how they have the best big brain trades.

6 Likes

The site is great for people entering the market. Perhaps it can be shifted to a 90 days of bitcoin, basically a resource to get people started. For more dynamic crypto conversations , i use telegram.

4 Likes

Pinned this globally so that it (hopefully) doesn’t get buried. If this site does in fact need to be shut down due to costs, I think it would be a good idea to allow a grace period for others to migrate over to different social channels. Personally I say keep it up due to it being a good resource to learn about blockchain and Bitcoin (even if this place does need a bit of housekeeping), but I don’t think anyone can afford and/or be willing to pay the hosting costs.

6 Likes

I’m still lurking around. The ongoing conversations are still relevant, but I see that it’s getting weaker and weaker in terms of activity. So… It’s sad to say that, it’s time for the beloved Pub to go.

But I have a suggestion: instead of just shutting down the Pub one day, let’s schedule a “Goodbye Party”. @peter and @john could organise the livestream and hang out in the Pub with its remaining members for one last time. Do a recap of all the good and goofy stuff that happened in the Pub, share the memories. That sort of stuff.

It would be a very cool activity IMO. A sad one, sure, but nevertheless, cool and wholesome.

If the Pub would shut down anyway, let’s do it with the BANG, like in good old days. :explopants: :explopants: :explopants:

7 Likes

i mean, of fucking course! of course, #whenlambo!!

1 Like

thanks friend. really appreciate you giving your thoughts… you’ve been here since the beginning.

3 Likes

lol. i love this place for comments like this.

4 Likes

cool. so, telegram is much more “useful” perhaps? why stick around? honest (non-troll) question.

1 Like

my friend… you’ve been one of the foundational members… i mean, seriously. so grateful for your time and thoughts.

5 Likes

lol. this is a great idea. thank you so much. i’ll touch base with @peter and see what he thinks.

3 Likes

No problem! I really do love the pub with my all as it’s a very unique place to converse about crypto, blockchain, and meet some really great people. That’s what kept me here for so long.

If the social aspect of the pub doesn’t hang on, why not re-purpose it? Kind of like the 10 Days of Bitcoin course, but minimized so that it’s more of a “landing” type page. I think getting it down to a “bare bones” state while migrating over to a “coffee a month” budget would mitigate a lot of the overhead cost while still helping those that wish to learn about blockchain.

I think most everyone else will migrate to either Discord, Telegram, Reddit, or their favorite crypto’s board. That’s why my main suggestion was to allow a grace period, similar to before the social aspect of Yen was discontinued.

I don’t know how much commitment @peter is willing to place into https://evo.af, but a lot of familiar faces have migrated over there, and there are group discussion features. Might be a good place to connect or learn a thing or two if you don’t know where to migrate.

4 Likes

dang, I think I agree with the sentiments in this thread, if you don’t believe the maintenance costs are justified, then do what you gotta do. There’s a lot of great news updates here, and it’s always fun to follow the BTC price w/ y’all. Thanks for all the dedication @john and @peter. wishin everyone the best.

I think a goodbye party would be kind of rad lol

4 Likes

I believe data in pub is important so instead of closing it all my suggestion will be cut the most of the features and cutting the cost to reasonable levels.

3 Likes

Yeah flogging a dead horse. I look every couple of months pretty inactive. Thanks for everything though. i’m moving on.

2 Likes

I guess it all depends on your purpose. Where are you headed and does the pub have any place in that? For me, I joined at a time of great energy and engagement and I am eternally grateful. The pub supported me into the scary world of crypto. The 10 days played a big part in my education. Pub people totally saved my ass from getting involved with USI-tech scam. I now hold a couple of Beetcoin and feeling optimistic on that front. I honestly don’t think reddit or any other forum would have served in the same way. The pub has (had?) heart and soul. But yeah, it’s a bit of tumble weed vibe now and I don’t come on here much. Though I read my email updates and click on now and then. Maybe it had it’s time in the sun… whatever you decide, I trust is right.

5 Likes

Thank you John and Peter for the experience I gained from the thebitcoin.pub it has literally been life changing. Also would like to thank Genesis for all the posts you have contributed on this site. I wish you guys and the fellow pubbers the best of luck in your future.

2 Likes

💰 YEN · YouTube ·️ YEN.CAMP 🧠