Here’s a quick overview… (or not so quick)… shall we begin?
The Pub offers five user trust levels, and your current level is visible on your user page:
It goes like this:
0 (New) → 1 (Basic) → 2 (Member) → 3 (Regular) → 4 (Leader)
(It’s worth noting that I’ve thought about renaming these levels… if you have ideas, I’d love them! Perhaps like… “CryptoNoob,” “Pubber,” “CryptoPirate,” “Cryptonaut,” “Dogemaster” … i made these entirely up, so, it’s not canonical…)
The Pub (the system, itself) does not quite trust new users yet, as they are visitors who just created an account, still learning the community norms and the way our community works. Whether accidentally, or intentionally, new users can cause problems in our community.
Consequently, a lot of features are unavailable to “new” users (and rightly so).
The system automagically hides “advanced” features and functionality to make their UI less confusing and for them to gently engage with our community and, over time, deeper UI is opened to them as they level-up and experience what we have to offer.
Thus, new users’ abilities are restricted for safety – both theirs and ours.
Users at trust level 0 cannot…
- Send private messages to other users
- “Reply as new topic” via Link button (UI removed)
- Flag posts
- Post more than 1 image
- Post any attachments
- Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
- Have actual links in the ‘about me’ field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
- Mention more than 2 users in a post
Admins can change certain things for certain people, but, this is very rare… and it has never happened here at The Pub.
If a user sticks around long enough to read a bit, The Pub System now trusts them as a basic user.
They can get to trust level 1 by…
- entering at least 5 topics
- reading at least 30 posts
- spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
As you might imagine, a lot of the spammers and bots will not do any of these things and never advance to a Basic Trust level.
Users at trust level 1 can…
- use all core Pub functions
- upload images and attachments if enabled
- edit wiki posts
- flag posts
- have all new user restrictions removed
Yay for them!
Members keep coming back to the site, and have participated long enough to earn their Pub citizenship, sotospeak.
A user can get to trust level 2 at The Pub by:
- visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
- casting at least 1 like
- receiving at least 1 like
- replying to at least 3 different topics
- entering at least 20 topics
- reading at least 100 posts
- spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts
Users at trust level 2 can…
- use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics
- invite outside users to PMs making a group PM
- daily like limit increased by 1.5×
- add tags
- edit titles of post
Regulars are the most active readers and reliable contributors over long periods of time. They are some of our very best that the Pub Community has to offer! We love them so much.
A Pub Community member can get to trust level 3 in a few ways… the first is time and activity based, unlike previous levels. For starters, if they have, in the last 100 days…
- must have visited at least 50% of days
- must have replied to at least 10 different topics
- of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
- of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
- must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
- must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
- must not have been suspended
… then they can get to this coveted level! It’s worth noting that the likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number).
Oh, and “likes” from PMs do not count. Sorry, not sorry.
So, all of these things must be true for Level 3 to be obtained.
Finally, unlike the other trust levels, a member of The Pub can lose trust level 3 status if they dip below these requirements, whether from flagging or the passage of time, you will be demoted to Member. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.
Pub Community members at trust level 3 can…
- recategorize and rename topics
- access a private “frequent flier’s lounge” category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
- have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow1.4k)
- spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
- flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts
- make their own posts wiki (that is, editable by any TL1+ users)
- daily like limit increased by 2×
Leaders are regulars who have been around forever and seen everything. They set a positive example for the community through their actions and their posts. If you need advice, these are the folks you turn to first.
They can get to trust level 4 by…
Users at trust level 4 can…
- edit all posts
- pin/unpin topic
- close topic
- archive topic
- make topic unlisted
- split and merge topics
- daily like limit increased by 3×
Got questions? Well, hit me up in the comments.