What is the thebitcoin.pub forum software? It's cool but what is it?

Hi folks,

I’ve looked in the FAQ, I’ve scrolled through the watercooler but what drives this cool forum site?

Cheers MX

2 Likes

i had the same question, its cool, you just need a little to get use to the new interface.

2 Likes

Discourse: https://www.discourse.org/

Discourse is a JavaScript application that runs in your web browser, using the Ember.js framework.

The server side of Discourse is Ruby on Rails backed by a Postgres database and Redis cache. You can deploy our standard Discourse Docker container on any virtualized cloud server (digital ocean, amazon ec2, rackspace, azure) with 1 GB RAM.

5 Likes

It’s brilliant from an end user point of view

2 Likes

Jeff Attwood is one of the very few software developers I’ve been a long-timer follower of ever since he wrote Coding Horror. He’s also one of the founders of Stack Exchange (Stack Overflow’s parent company).

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/discourse/ is a good interview and inside look into the behind why Discourse was written and why Ruby on Rails was chosen as the framework.

6 Likes

I love discourse. The next big thing will add or integrate live chat though.

2 Likes

Also dont forget, He should decentralize it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

It’s in the plans. For sure.

2 Likes

this is not entirely true… but, it’s a definite conversation piece.

:troll:

2 Likes

Is it possible to setup Discourse to have shortcut to bookmarked topics (like “Support via patreon”)? Every day 6-10 new topic open and at least 30% of them is duplication or nothing interesting. But I have at least 10 topic I would like to see at my starting page with one click.

Anyway…where can I see the bookmarked topics? I am not talking about the browser’s bookmark but the Discourse own bookmarks.

Thank you.

1 Like

Yea, I agree, the PUB ROX, all it is missing is a jukebox and complementary pretzels.
As an alternative to pretzels, maybe the management team will start rewarding amazingly, outstanding, contributors with complimentary DOGE :doge:.
DOGE is cool…“Just don’t spend it all in one place”.

Good points here. I dont have an answer but I’m going to hunt for bookmarking as I’d like that too.

@asharp or @john another good point here is duplicate topics or “sprawl”

1 Like

Hi CryptoAutomata,

It’s the nature of forums pretty much - always a set of trade offs.

The Discourse bookmarks are found by clicking your profile icon

where bookmark from 2017-10-05 13-37-36

3 Likes

Yes! I found that…but it is very uncomfortable place. My idea was this (one of these would be nice):

3 Likes

I use Google Chromes bookmark feature for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have about 300 bookmarks in chrome so I use it actively. But here it would be much easier to see if there was an unread message in my favorites without opening all of them or if I want to share something fast. It is only an idea I brought up to help creating better UX for the PUB. Not a must have function.

2 Likes

We can add this… but I don’t want the top menu crunched.

1 Like

You know it’s up to you. If you don’t like the idea I can live with that :wink:

2 Likes

thoughts?

2 Likes

Do it.

I would use it if it was there.

Would also love to be able to control what my “home page” is when clicking the site logo (in which I’d promptly set it to my bookmarks page…)

2 Likes

💰 YEN · YouTube ·️ YEN.CAMP 🧠