What's the safest way to chat securely online?

I think I need to install Tor and find a way to chat with end-to-end encryption…

Tips, anyone, please…?

2 Likes

whatsapp has end to end encryption and you can put the app on your computer after you’ve added it to your iOS / Android device.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply…

I use WhatsApp from time to time – also on my MacBook with https://web.whatsapp.com/ via an old Android device though…
Also, I saw Loran Kloeze’s tweets – a “freelance consultant/researcher IT-cybersecurity” who showed WhatsApp had (or has?) some security issues…

I figure there ought to be a more secure way…

1 Like

Facebook messenger has a device to device secure chat option nobody is using.

1 Like

you gotta be kidding here?

2 Likes

The market leader is always being attacked the most. Facebook messenger scored the highest by Amnesty International:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2016/10/which-messaging-apps-best-protect-your-privacy/?ntvDuo=true

1 Like

Please note that this is an assessment of each company’s key policies and practices in relation to encryption. We have not assessed other privacy aspects of the apps or their overall security. If you’re a journalist or activist, or if you believe you might be personally targeted for electronic surveillance, you need a comprehensive digital security plan. Please consult a digital security expert and do not rely on any one app to protect your information.

as%20roma%20inter%20milan%20coach

2 Likes

You can use encrypted email, but it is the same technology used in encrypted messenger apps.

If you are a target of a nation state, they would have already figured out your identity by now. But the encryption shall still protect the content of your communications.

2 Likes

The PGP email encryption uses the same private/public key pair as that of BTC, which you trust. The burden of the end user are the same: private key backup and antivirus…

The ‘leak’ usually happens on the receiving and sending devices. So you shall also consider encryption of the hard disks on the PCs or phones and the screen lock of the handhold devices. IOS is better than Android.

1 Like

I don’t care about my identity right now – I just want to nobody to read the chat…

1 Like

I see… I don’t want to get too paranoid… But also, be safe rather than sorry…

1 Like

Whatsapp or Signal are secure enough. Just make sure you backup the keys locally (never to a cloud service).

Whatsapp can still tell when you have chatted; Signal gives away nothing.

2 Likes

Thanks! I forgot…I have access to an iPad…That the most secure device I have acces to right now I guess…Better than my old Macbook, old iPhone and old Android phone…

1 Like

Use an IOS device for secure communication only at both ends. Keep the IOS and chat app updated. An old updated IOS device is as secure as a newer IOS device.

2 Likes

Do yourself a Tails build & use the builtin secure messaging function called Pidgin that should sort you out.
https://tails.boum.org/doc/anonymous_internet/pidgin/index.en.html

Cheers :+1::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks, mate – that looks legit!

1 Like

It’s a good place to start & as far as I know its outside of the NSA phone home remit so what you say should stay between you and the other party & not make it into the records of those who seem set on wanting to know our every move, I don’t want any fucker knowing the in’s & out’s of my business unless I expressly tell them.

:+1::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Quite a trip to install it… And it’s not clear if it will work on a Mac OS X El Capitan… :no_mouth:

1 Like

It’s probably safe to say that all systems are vulnerable, assume someone is reading and listening to everything.

2 Likes

The other person has an Android phone by the way…

1 Like

💰 YEN · YouTube ·️ YEN.CAMP 🧠