Windows 10 1903 and Latest AMD Drivers

Microsoft Windows 10 went through a really big update in May, and have been rolling it out to new devices over the past couple of months. Now, if you mine on Windows, you probably have already figured out that it’s nearly impossible to completely prevent updates that could possibly screw up your rig.

After fending off any change to my maxed out setup since August of 2017, I decided to spice it up a bit and try and setup an equally stable and reliable mining setup, but with the latest software. Windows 1903, combined with AMD Drivers from just a few days ago for my RX480’s.

Here’s what i’ve found:
Nearly all of the hackarounds that I implemented 2 years ago for my 4gb AMD cards clocking in at a stable 29.5mh/s with a 6 GPU setup with average temps in the low 70’s©, pulling right at 1000w at the wall have been pretty much built into today’s current software.

There’s still some registry tweaks, and vbios timing adjustments partnered with OC software to pull THOSE speeds. But, a trimmed down 1903, with new #amd drivers set to compute mode, and the latest #claymore seem to require less effort.

What has your experience been mining under current software/hardware? Oh… and a follow up to that.

Why is it that you mine now that the “hype” isn’t what it used to be?

I love doing it, and I don’t plan to stop. It’s my very own #dca strategy that paid for itself 2 years ago. So why not just keep chugging along?

phx-*-

1 Like

Thank you for this brother. I put off that dam update for too long today it forced my laptop to go trough it. I was not productive for about 2-3 hours. Well i did get to read some good articles on my cell etc.

2 Likes

So a couple days in, and I’m having some stability issues. I haven’t done what i’d consider is an appropriate amount of reconfiguration of the actual mining software to rule out my own bad settings. However, just wanted to be sure to update you guys.

3 Likes

Thanks! Appreciate posts like these.

2 Likes

Good news. This was an error on my part. I installed the intel optane software. This essentially took over one of my PCI buses and even when you uninstall it, leaves a dirty little middle man that’s not very good at passing along data fast enough for a gpu. I was confused, because by all appearances the driver appears correctly installed, and overclock settings show no errors in applying. However, the hash rate is less than half for any card plugged into that specific pcie slot. It’s not an easy fix either (for me at least) except to say i’ll probably fresh start and the process should take only about an hr to setup. I’m trying one more thing, and if it doesn’t work, then it’s not worth hacking around the registry to fix. Ive got all the latest drivers, updated mobo bios, and a clear path through setup. I’ll update again when all is well.

Phx-*-

1 Like

Good news! It appears my last effort was successful. I tacked on the intel rapid storage driver to make the optane update I shouldn’t have done talk nice with the gpu. After a safe boot DDU driver reinstall, and ati patch for the custom bios signature, I’m back to full speed on all 6 cards. I’ll run it for a day and check the logs for errors, then fine tune the voltage, core and memory clocks some. But, I’m feeling pretty confident. I wouldn’t however add the optane software in the future since it makes permanent changes, and is unnecessary for my particular setup.

Happy mining everyone!

Phx-*-

1 Like

Still running through the night. I can pull another 2mh/s out but is it really necessary or worth risking stability? Me say naaaah.
Phx-*-

1 Like

💰 YEN · DCTV ·️ Bitcoin Lambo · 10 Days of Bitcoin ·️ CEO's Brainpan 🧠