Yen and Usable UX

uiux
dapps
toddgoldberg
garrytan

A few thoughts via Token Daily:

Todd Goldberg asked of Garry Tan:

Beyond being an investor, I know you’re a designer with great product sense.

What Dapps do you think have great UX today?
What do you think is needed to move Dapps (and more generally, crypto) usability forward?

And I love Garry’s reply:

it’s 1994 in crypto so if it works today then it has good UX. We have so much basic infrastructure still being built. There is no mobile wallet browser yet that lets you easily buy crypto and start using any dApp in 5 min or less for instance. Dapps use Etherscan as a receipt for transactions, which is basically hostile to noob users. Using dapps is like getting Linux set up as your primary desktop. There is so much to figure out but UX is certainly the key to future adoption. It is the eye of the needle that all decentralized apps must pass through.

Another reason why something like Yen is crucial for moving the entire blockchain community forward. @peter and I painstakingly think about UI/UX all the time.

Similarly:

How are we going to get to 100M+ crypto users? When?

Garry’s answer:

Great browsers and meaningful apps. We only barely have our own versions of NCSA Mosaic.

true - we’re all in the geeky weeds that most normal humans don’t dare to enter.

It’s like with console games etc, - content is king. Most people don’t care about the technology behind, just what game they want and which console they need to buy to play it.

When there are compelling apps - the pull from users for better UI/UX will make it happen. Right now it’s like a bunch of browser geeks talking to people about the internet when they don’t even have anything on the internet they want to do.

I don’t think mass adoption happening right away is a bad thing since most projects are not ‘done’ yet and if you give someone a bad experience once - it’s hard to get them to come back when you’ve improved it.

Better to get some cool shit made that blows them away when they do try it.