AMD VEGA Mining Results (updated new driver!)

anyone see them available anywhere Retail or online?
waited outside microcenter who was suppose to have 2 but when we got there they said they didnt get them. I’m assuming emloyees took the 2 they had
:frowning:

Picked one up at microcenter for $599. (friend waited at their other location for me
:smile:

I’ll let you guys know what im seeing for a hash rate once the rig is up.

interested as well to know the hash rate, the next challenge would be try to find them here in italy or switzerland.

Hoping i didnt get a lemon, but it looks that way. Card not being recognized in the bios in 2 different rigs. card LED lights are no, but no fan. gonna work with their support but this may be an RMA

Not trying to be a naysayer but if you get a chance, refund it and get a 1070 mini for $450
Reports coming in of a hashrate under 40Mh/s completely overclocked. Not worth the cost or power consumption.

@neomining @peter
So I got my rig up and running (needed to flash the motherboard bios and change some PCH settings) but eventually i got it up and going…
The out of the box results:
33 MH/S on 315W
underwhelming and basically what we have seen reported. the release driver had basically no options/tweaking.
ALAS! Today AMD released a new beta driver specifically for mining!
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-for-Radeon-RX-Vega-Series-Release-Notes.aspx
They basically came out and said this driver isnt for graphics/gaming but for mining optimization and they will provide no support :)
2 huge changes with this driver:
  1. the Fan speed can be adjusted. I ramped up the speed and got the core temp from 80 degrees to 55 degrees. this instantly jumped the Hash from 33 to 41.
  2. It had a power save mode allowing me to underclock it getting the wattage output to 265.
41 MH/s at 265W looks alot better. I’m running on claymores dual miner (v9.8) and mining ethereum and pascal it hasnt effected the hash rate.
at 0.10 per KW/H im looking at like $75-85. So 8 month ROI on my $600 investment… which probably is also off since the difficulty will increase. but that is offset by the resell value the card will have going to gamers.
There is a production release of this beta driver on its way… plus im sure we will see some tweaks with it once the miners dig into it.
anyhow… the jury so far:
New AMD Beta Driver
Claymore 9.8
38-42 MH/s @ 265-275W
that is what you can realistically expect at this point. maybe even lower on the wattage… im running an i3. if your running an underclocked celeron you can probably shave some wattage there too.

Swapped the VEGA out with a new board with an under-clocked celeron… Hash has been about the same… power dipped a bit but not as much as id hoped for.
running at 38-40 MH/S @ 235-245W

Those numbers look so much better than the out of the box numbers. Nothing crazy revolutionary but awesome for miners with density issues. If I had a warehouse, power efficiency is my only concern, so the VEGA is right out, but for running 1-2 rigs at home, this is the best card I’ve ever seen!

yeah its not bad… the only real concern is how it scales with the difficulty… if it can mine at this rate for 6 momths ill be getting my ROI for sure.
hard to say once the L3’s start mining what will happen to the difficulty and how fast.

AMD is notorious for dropping off faster on the difficulty but the VEGA is brand new, their driver updates should keep up with the difficulty increase. If not, you’ll still be on the front of the mining ship so the playing field should remain level. Stay strong and mine on dude!

With its HBM2 memory it should be really resistant to the DAG. not as big a bottleneck at 199/200 as the RX 480/580 or the GTX1070.

If anyone is interested here are the tweaks we made in the new block chain drivers to get us up over 40 MH/s

image.jpg1911x1017 293 KB

image.png986x516 39.1 KB

We moved the vega out of our case/removed the watercooling as we are going to an open air rig. but with the watercooling on we were at consistent 41-42 MH/s. The temperature seems to be the biggest factor so far on the hashing power.
here is power consumption:

This is in a system with an i5. we are moving to a new board with a celeron processor and switching from our bronze rated evga gaming GPU to an HP platinum rated server power supply we tool out of an old proliant server.
We believe/hope we can get this in the 300-330W range

Back