Do you consider crypto gambling an investment or a way to make money?

Thanks for the reality check, folks. Guess I got caught up in the success stories without considering the risks. Anyone here tried to supplement their income with gambling, even if not as a full-time thing?

Look, I've been in the gambling world for over a decade now, and I've seen it all. Yes, there are people who make a living from gambling, particularly poker and sports betting. But for every success story, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of cautionary tales. The thing is, successful gamblers treat it like a business. They have strict bankroll management, they study constantly, and they have the mental fortitude to weather massive swings. It's not just about skill - it's about managing risk and variance. And let's be real, it's a tough, stressful way to make a living. Most people are better off keeping gambling as a hobby and focusing on more reliable sources of income.

Look, I've been in the gambling world for over a decade now, and I've seen it all. Yes, there are people who make a living from gambling, particularly poker and sports betting. But for every success story, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of cautionary tales. The thing is, successful gamblers treat it like a business. They have strict bankroll management, they study constantly, and they have the mental fortitude to weather massive swings. It's not just about skill - it's about managing risk and variance. And let's be real, it's a tough, stressful way to make a living. Most people are better off keeping gambling as a hobby and focusing on more reliable sources of income.
@the_Diligentson That's a sobering perspective. How do you think crypto has changed the gambling landscape?

Anyone here actually tracking their gambling wins/losses accurately? Curious about real long-term results.
I keep detailed records. Over 3 years, I'm up about 5%. Not enough to live on, but nice bonus.

@GG777 That's interesting. Mind sharing what types of gambling that 5% is from? And how much time you put into it?
@n00bas Sure, happy to share. My 5% profit is mainly from a mix of poker and sports betting, with a tiny bit from advantage play in blackjack. I'd say it breaks down to about 60% poker, 35% sports betting, and 5% blackjack. As for time, it varies, but on average I'd say I put in about 20 hours a week.
Poker takes the bulk of my time - I play mostly low to mid-stakes cash games online. For sports betting, I focus on football and tennis, spending a few hours each week analyzing stats and looking for value bets. The blackjack is just occasional when I find a good promotion.
It's worth noting that this 5% is after accounting for all my losses, rake, and the time I've invested. While it's a nice supplementary income, it's definitely not enough to live on, especially considering the hours put in. And there have been some pretty wild swings along the way - months where I was down significantly before things turned around.
Just to be clear, this isn't something I'd recommend as a primary income source. It takes a lot of discipline, emotional control, and honestly, a bit of luck to stay profitable long-term. It's more of a serious hobby that happens to pay for itself and then some.

@n00bas Sure, happy to share. My 5% profit is mainly from a mix of poker and sports betting, with a tiny bit from advantage play in blackjack. I'd say it breaks down to about 60% poker, 35% sports betting, and 5% blackjack. As for time, it varies, but on average I'd say I put in about 20 hours a week.
Poker takes the bulk of my time - I play mostly low to mid-stakes cash games online. For sports betting, I focus on football and tennis, spending a few hours each week analyzing stats and looking for value bets. The blackjack is just occasional when I find a good promotion.
It's worth noting that this 5% is after accounting for all my losses, rake, and the time I've invested. While it's a nice supplementary income, it's definitely not enough to live on, especially considering the hours put in. And there have been some pretty wild swings along the way - months where I was down significantly before things turned around.
Just to be clear, this isn't something I'd recommend as a primary income source. It takes a lot of discipline, emotional control, and honestly, a bit of luck to stay profitable long-term. It's more of a serious hobby that happens to pay for itself and then some.
💯, even if you're winning now, luck can turn. Never gamble with money you need for living expenses.

Back